Saturday, January 26, 2008

Women! Argh...

The blogging floodgates have been opened and I just can't stop sharing! Too bad this isn't NaBloMoPo month!

OK, sometimes I really hate women. I mean seriously. Why do we tear each other down like we do?

Case in point, today I ran into an old friend at my son's pinewood derby race for the scouts. She asked how my work was going and I told her it was all right, that I probably wasn't going to be doing it much longer. It was too much in my life. She quickly replied:

"Yeah, I was going to tell you, the past few times I have seen you, you've been looking pretty RAGGED."
I am not kidding. I just sat there and looked her and kind of awkwardly laughed. What is the proper response when someone you thought was your friend basically tells you that you've been looking like crap lately?

And what possesses our sex to be so bitchy? Seriously, I don't get it.

If I saw an old friend, who I knew was overloaded and running on empty, I might call her up to see if she needs anything, lend a friendly ear...HELL, maybe I'd take her by a casserole or offer to watch her kids. Would I tell her it is because she looks like death? Uh, NO!

I am guessing this could be chalked up to two things--one she's mad that our friendship has faded. I have never blown her off or anything, we just have differing schedules and I quit trying to make an effort to get together because of her son's strange behavior (a blog post in itself).

Or, it is a jealousy thing over my job, which is a little higher profile in the community. This is most likely it because when she asked what I'd do next and I mentioned just my other small contracting gig and working at home, she defensively said,

"Well, I have NEVER been bored as a stay-at-home mom. There's always plenty to do."

Why do we tear our own sex apart like we do? We are our own worst enemy. And, I really hate that. I wouldn't trade being a woman for anything, but I sure wish I could change this part of it.

4 Comments:

Blogger babs said...

OMG, that's a total pet peeve of mine.... when someone comments on how tired you look. It's like "hey thanks for pointing out that I look shitty today."

As for her never being bored? Good for her. Why must people think their path is THE path? Sigh. I get annoyed when someone tells me all the reasons they could never be a freelancer or work at home. If only these people could be as open-minded and level-headed as us... ;)

10:06 PM, January 26, 2008  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

I agree, Babs! I was amazed because I have never passed judgement on her life choices or on those friends I have with kids who work fulltime. I feel like I've been walking this tightrope between the two for the past year. I really have come to the conclusion that, while some women may really be able to have it all (career, kids, sanity), I am certainly not one of them! HA!

12:58 AM, January 27, 2008  
Blogger Nicole said...

AMEN! I am more and more grateful to have all boys every day. I just don't do the "girl thing" very well. The catty-ness and innuendo really get my goat. I like boys because they usually say what the mean and mean what they say. Very simple. And not bitchy ;-)

However, there are many women in my life I would not trade for the world!

3:22 PM, January 27, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shot - I would have LOVED to have a job where I could work at home and stay with my son. I'm sure she's just jealous like you said. Its sad that some people have to be that way. Guess those are the times you just have to consider the source and let it go. Know what I mean? Take care.

Pam

10:03 AM, January 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home