Sunday, April 02, 2006

It's not the Joneses...I swear!

I wrote recently about the propensity of attitudes in my neighborhood of "keepin' up with the Joneses." I spoke about how I was choosing to not be like that because it isn't in my nature, and neither is it in my husband's character.

But, while I'm not like that, I have to be totally honest. I have one huge flaw that may make it seem like I am at times. It has to do with the impatience gene. I have mentioned this little bugger on here before. If I had not inherited my father's impatience gene, I think a lot of things might have gone differently in my life:

- I might be a world-famous chef, instead of someone who lives on 30-minute meal recipes.

- I might have been a lawyer or a doctor, instead of finishing school as quickly as possible (going every summer) and then not knowing what to do with myself.

- I might be at my goal weight right now. (I often get frustrated and just give up completely when the weight comes off too slowly or doesn't come off right away. I'm fighting this urge right now, as a matter of fact...)

- I might have a son who knows how to ties his shoes at age 61/2. (Oh, did I mention he has the impatience gene too? Yes, I passed it to him. My husband will be teaching him to tie shoes, whistle and drive later on...two impatience genies do NOT make a good combination.)

There are so many other things I might have done in my life if I didn't have this need for things to happen right here and right now. And, this becomes really difficult for my husband, I suppose. Especially when it comes to things like furniture shopping and home renovation. The only thing that slows me down is extreme pickiness about things like furniture and clothes.

So, I guess when I look at it, my husband and I do make a good team. He tends to be more frugal than me, believes in taking his time to find the best deal and waiting until the money is there for it or you can get great financing to get it. But, I have to say sometimes he moves too darn slow and it becomes really painful for me.

That's where my other handy gene comes in...the nagging gene. I got this one from my mother. It goes something like this:

Honey, did you call your sister?
Uh, no...I forgot.
Well, you need to call her so we can make sure she can sit for us on XYZ date.
OK, I will.
Don't forget.
I won't.
It's important.
OK.

One hour later...

Um, I hate to ask again...but, did you call your sister?
No, not yet.
(pause)
Don't you think you should call her to make sure she can sit for us on XYZ date.
Ok, I will.
Really? Like now? (batting eyes and staring intently)
This will continue on all day long, until he finally gives up and calls. I get my way and I'm happy.

I'll admit though...in the past few weeks, I think I've been on bit of a tear. Maybe it has to do with spring cleaning or something. Here's what we've purchased recently. Tell me if you agree:

Climbing vines for the side beds and flowers for the front and side
We want the house to look good before your family comes over...you know how they think I can't grow anything. And, it's PEAK growing season now--we must plant before we lose our window!
Curtains for the bedroom

Honey, we've been talking about getting these for 2 years now. We're moving at a snail's pace!
Two new ceiling fans

It's just that my parents are coming in a few weeks, and you know how my Dad needs a good fan to sleep.

A kick-butt new carpet cleaner

But, I can't help it that the other one broke. Yes, I know I backed into it with the SUV, but how was I to know it was back there???

Oh, did I also mention I'm a recovering spoiled brat? Oh, yes, I am. I know that. OK, maybe I haven't recovered, but the first step is admitting you have a problem, right?

Lucky for me, my husband has the patience gene, the wife-ignoring gene (which blocks my nagging gene most often), and the exaggerating-beyond-belief detecting gene. Man, did I ever get lucky to find this guy or what?

Now, honey...about that maid... (grin)

9 Comments:

Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

#1 I agree with you.
#2 I slightly agree.
#3 I slightly agree. It depends on how long they'll be staying.
#4 Not that I don't agree but it can wait.
#5 Definitely no.

1:46 AM, April 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that wife ignoring gene is in every male on the planet, as a survival method.

8:36 AM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Tonja said...

it is fascinating that my dad was the slowest, most painstakingly methodical of men on the planet, yet the most impatient when it was someone else trying to learn. And I got the impatient gene, too, along with the temper. fun stuff, that. But I killed my grapevines and raspberries that were supposed to be growing up the lattice with my impatience- "look! the store has them so it must be ok to plant!!" poor little flowers...

10:42 AM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

I think you have the FEMALE gene! :) I'm so much the same way. I want it done, I want it done now, I want it done MY way. LOL!

11:20 AM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Nicole said...

I'm the same way and the bad thing is my husband is, too. We both get OCD until we get what we want or finish the project we've started....

12:02 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Masked Mom said...

Sounds like you and the husband are perfectly matched. :)

4:22 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

Hey - I have the impatience gene, too.. but we both have the frugal gene. The nagging gene - umm I got that one too. Mr. Bug and I both have the shopping gene. At least we both like to shop and won't purchase unless it is a bargain...
I'm still pushing for a maid... Let me know if you get one!
LadyBug

5:47 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Cute! I've definitely got an impatience thing going, too. I went to college every summer and graduated early... Now I'm wondering "WTF did I give up a whole year of college for????" That was the most fun I've ever had!

7:26 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Karen Bodkin said...

OMG I'm exactly the same way - I will pester and pester my husband to return calls to his friends so they won't think I didn't give him the message! LOL!

10:32 PM, April 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home