Friday, March 31, 2006

Friday Fragments...

Here are just some random thoughts rattling around the old ticker today...

Scary Surgery
I have a friend who is having gastric bypass surgery as I type this. Our little group of friends has been very nervous about this for her, but we know she's researched this and knows the positives and the negatives. I'm just praying there are no complications with the surgery today.

Scary Stories
What is it lately with car accidents? My husband and I have known two people now who were involved in serious accidents this past week--one was in critical condition and is improving now and the other was quite seriously hurt with many broken bones as well. Quite frankly, since these things usually happen in threes I'm scared to drive in my car about now.

Stupid Weather
Why the HELL does Houston seem to go from fall straight on through to the rainy season and summer with no winter? I swear, after living here for five years now, I'm about to move to Canada or something!

Stupid Medical Advice
I saw the doctor about my hip. After x-rays, I was told there is no break but it would require an MRI to see if there were torn ligaments. I was also told it takes 6 weeks to heal from a ligament pull, and that I could go to a physical therapist to find out what exercises to avoid and what could help strengthen the area. Not so coincidentally, the therapist was in the same office as the doctor. I'm sorry, but I hate unnecessary medical bills. I have enough of them as it is. Still, I took the doctor's referral and was waiting to check out when the therapist's "office" called me on my cell phone for an appointment--as I was sitting in the same office in which they are located. I got the sense they didn't want me to leave without making sure they could get some more money out of me, so I blew them off on the phone and promptly paid for my visit and left, hopefully never to return again.

Stupid Pills
I have decided that I will NOT take prescriptions given to me anymore. I currently take 6 pills a day for my diabetes and thyroid issues. In addition, I take 3 vitamins. Unless something falls off of me or turns green and threatens to fall off, I'm not adding any more freakin' pills into this mix, people! (One exception: if they finally find a way to make a get-real-skinny pill, I will be taking that.)

Stupid Food
How to get in the dog house with me and not even know it--host a campout meeting and over-order the food, thereby leaving three entire pizzas, a bunch of my favorite fried taquitos, 2 bags of cookies, and a bag of peanut M&Ms in our house for me to try and avoid ALL DAY LONG. Lord, give me strength...and if not, may a band of very hungry monkeys invade my home and eat all this fattening crap up!

Stupid Idea
Why did Sesame Street have to go and make the Snuffalupagus real? He was my favorite character on there as a kid, and I loved the whole idea that he was Big Bird's imaginary friend that no one else could see. What, did someone complain that a large pink dinosaur-like furry friend was a little too much imagination the children to handle? Thank goodness, there's still Super Grover or I would be SOoooo over Sesame!

Have a GREAT weekend, everybodeeeeeee!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Uh, did you get your medical degree and we just didn't realize it?? Please listen to the doctor and take the meds you should. I agree they to tend to overmedicate these days but still....

Have you tried a chiro for the hip? It would be another option. I am not a big believer in them but I know a lot of people are.

I LOVED Mr. Snuffleupugus and how everytime Big Bird tried to introduce him to someone he would be gone. Why would they fuck with something so perfect???

3:20 PM, March 31, 2006  
Blogger babs said...

I just have to say that I'd KILL the person who left that food at my house! That's the only way I've managed to NOT gain a ton. I just don't allow the evil stuff in my house. (I guess that's one of the perks of singledom)

6:10 PM, March 31, 2006  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

OK, I've gotten a few questions about my no pills comment. NO, I am NOT abandoning my current medication. I'm also exaggerating greatly, which I can sometimes do. (grin) I am just saying I'm sick of taking pills and am not going to take some little piddly ones I got for my hip which are about like taking a strong tylenol or something.

Thanks for caring, guys. Also, I did eat those damn taquitos today. I ate them, and they tasted REALLY GOOD. BURP!

8:25 PM, March 31, 2006  
Blogger Masked Mom said...

Hey--taquitos! Good for you!

And I haven't seen Sesame Street in a bazillion years but that's TERRIBLE news about Snuffalupagus. (And if they're going to make him real, can't they possibly give him a name that easier to spell?)

7:52 AM, April 01, 2006  
Blogger Nicole said...

Don't move to Canada! Move to Colorado! I'm working on Lisa, too...

I know how you feel about doctors and meds..I don't have much faith in them either. I feel like I'm poisoning myself when I take them. The birth-control pill has really screwed me up in the past.

11:05 AM, April 01, 2006  
Blogger Alison said...

I agree with you about meds. My current opinion is that drs like to throw meds at people, and then if you have side effects from the meds, they throw more meds at your to combat the side effects, & then more to combat the side effects of those, & on & on!

About Snuffleupagus, I read that they made him real so that kids would feel like they'd be believed if they tried to tell adults something, so they wouldn't keep things to themselves, especially stuff about weird strangers.... The problem is, adults often don't take kids seriously, so now all the kids who get ignored when they're trying to tell others something don't have an ally in Big Bird anymore.

12:17 PM, April 01, 2006  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Whoa girl....if it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all. I'm certainly glad you're not one of over-react my drama queen! Glad that there is still humor in the bite! You are in my prayers...this too shall pass!

4:56 PM, April 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home