Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Damned by the aerobic gods...

I'm convinced the "workout gods" have plotted and conspired against me to prevent me from staying fit. It all started about three weeks ago. There I was, sweating away, feeling my kickboxing mojo, when I went to do our last set of roundhouse kicks.

SNAP!

(MomCat's inner voice cries out in complete panic mode)

What? What was that loud snapping sound that just came from my hip joint? Ooooh , no...that can't be good. Ah, yes. There it is...pain. Shooting pain in the hip joint. This can't be good. That's OK, stay the course, there's just 15 more minutes of class. Just avoid kicks. Yes, you can avoid kicks in KICKBOXING, can't you?

(A few minutes pass...the inner voice speaks up again)

Oh, no. I can't keep going. Dare I leave and face glares and ridicule from my class and the intense-but-incredible instructor? Oh, yes, I have to get out of here and now. This isn't good. The pain is getting worse. Duck the kicks and hobble for the door...hobble faster! Hobble for your life!)

(Flash forward to the present...)

So, I laid off of working out for a week. What's one week, right? Only, I'd worked up to exercising very consistently for awhile now, so I feel LOUSY when I don't work out for a week. After a week and a half, the hip joint didn't hurt when I stood, walked, or jogged, but I still had a shooting pain when I sat down or bent at the hip. So, I tested the gym's treadmill. Yes, I could jog! After about 20 minutes though, I started feeling it again and got off. I did some arm weights and skipped the legs and went home.

Several days of unexpected crap happen and I didn't get back to the gym. You know unexpected crap, don't you? It can include: staying up too late the night before and feeling like utter poo that next morning, last minute errands you have to run instead, yadda, yadda. Yes, I'll admit it...I was back to coming up with every reason in the world to NOT get to the gym. (I could leave off here the fact that I do, in fact, have a treadmill at home. But, I'll mention it...just to make myself look even more pathetic...)

Then, yesterday, I had finally made a doctor's appointment with a bone/joint doctor to look at my hip, which had stayed pretty much the same for several weeks. On the drive there, just a few minutes away, I heard my toddler coughing in the back seat. I turn to find that she'd yakked her scrambled eggs all over herself.

(MomCat's angry inner voice speaks again, sounding entirely too unsympathetic to her sweet daughter's barfy plight)

LOVELY! Not only do I get to try and clean slimy chunks of egg off of her person, her carseat, and my car, but I won't get to that doctor's appointment AND I won't be working out A-GAIN. ARGH!!!)

The doctor's appointment was rescheduled for the end of the week and I vowed to go to an advanced step aerobics class tomorrow come hell or high water. The daughter must have just been carsick, because she never got sick again and ran me ragged all day, begging me to read her the same three books over and over again.

(MomCat's inner voice quickly thinks...)

Hmmm...I wonder how early they can be taught to read really? Is two too early? Yeah, I thought so...sigh...

That brings us to this morning at 6 a.m., when my son rushes in our room saying he can't breathe (he has asthma) and feeling feverish.

(MomCat's inner voice pleads)

Please, no fever, no fever....let's do the breathing treatment...yes, that'll get him back to normal. Where is that thermometer? 100.4...check again...100.1...@#$@##!!! DAMN IT! I WON'T BE WORKING OUT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!)

In summary, my friends, if you need to reach me, you'll find me in a pool of flabbiness sitting next to my barely feverish and wheezing son. I'll be the one with the snap happy hip and the toddler jumping up and down and shoving books in my face "Reeeeead me, Mommy! Reeeead me!"

7 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

Aww, you poor thing! I hope things calm down enough for you to get back to working out.

8:30 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Nicole said...

You're still doing better than me. I haven't worked out in 5 years...unless you count wrestling with and lifting little boys. We just survived about two straight months of viruses. Our water bill spiked from all the vomit/diarrhea clean up...ick. Hope they feel better soon! And you, too. BTW, if the dr. isn't able help, you may try a chiropractor...

8:55 AM, March 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pool of flabbiness? LOL! Hey, if you need more excuses, you let me know. I am the queen of excuses not to work out! Trust me on this. ;)

9:12 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Only Chuck Norris can deliver a roundhouse kick, girl!

There must be something in the air. I too have not been going to the gym and running like I usually do. I just don't feel like it. Which of course, then makes me feel gross and depressed. Its a nasty viscious cycle.

Did you find out what you did to your hip? You at least, have an excuse. Maybe I need to fall down really hard and hurt myself.

9:32 AM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Dear puddle of fluffiness...this to shall pass. Those babies will grow up and be gone soon enough. Allow me to feel bad for you.....ahhh. How's your sister? I think you are wonderfull I would have been stressing eating long ago! You go girl...you're my hero!

12:18 PM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

It looks like you've never been to the said Doctor. I think you better do before going to that advanced aerobic. Shooting pains can be caused by a bone pressing on one of your nerves.
Yes you can teach a child to read at the age of 2. Mine started to read at age 1 year and 6 months. He started to go to informal school at 2 and excelled. He could spell, read simple words and could write at that age. You as a mother would know best if your child is ready or not.
Take care of that hip.

11:02 PM, March 29, 2006  
Blogger Masked Mom said...

Hey, I've got the feverish kids and the flab but I don't even have the sense to feel guilty about it. You're WAY ahead of me--hope the hip eases up soon. :)

6:59 AM, March 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home