Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Beware of the monster sucker!!!


What is it about a vacuum that can send a child into a terror-induced scream-and-run? This morning, the minute I turned the vacuum on, it was as if I'd flipped a switch in my children's heads on to "crazy mode." My daughter ran around screaming at a glass-shattering pitch and my son began going into what I like to call his "spider legs" dance. Both ran around the room as if someone had spiked their morning juice with speed or something.

This gave me flashbacks to my own run-ins with vacuums as a child. I spent a great amount of time at my grandmother's house. And, my grandmother liked to keep a clean house, which was something I loved coming from a house that was quite the opposite. My grandmother had an old Kirby model vacuum. You know the ones made out of metal that are almost too heavy to move? Well, this vacuum had a face if I ever saw one on a cleaning appliance. Two eyes, a triangular nose and a big sucker mouth. Anytime she'd turn it on, I'd run screaming and hands flailing to the closest piece of furniture I could scramble upon, just sure that vacuum was going to suck down one of my precious little "piggies" or a leg or something. The only time I'd venture back onto the carpet was if I had to rescue a toy that was left in the monster's path. I'd retrieve it and then run screaming back to my perch until my grandmother finished her chores.

I just wonder if vacuum manufacturers know something that we parents do not about getting a room clear of kids and toys. It is enough to make me want to vacuum every day, I tell you. Well, almost enough...

9 Comments:

Blogger babs said...

Is THAT why my dogs are always running away from my vacuum?!? They sound just like your kids! (btw, LOVE the cartoon)

funny sidenote: I had a canary growing up that would only sing while we vacuumed or ran the dishwasher. So yes, I do believe the bird was just like me... insecure about its singing!

2:29 PM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger Nicole said...

My husband still has bad memories about his mom's vacuum! And my boys scatter like roaches when I bring ours out. Works every time ;-)

2:40 PM, May 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe, yeah, I'm with Babs... my dogs react exactly the same way your kids do. Even down to the bizarre spidery leg dance!

Although I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the insane volume of my vacuum cleaner. Maybe I should just get them little puppy earmuffs...

10:44 PM, May 31, 2006  
Blogger Lisabell said...

My kitties don't freak out when I vacuum -- they simply disappear. For a few hours afterwards, even. You'd never know I had a cat. Or two...

2:17 AM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Maybe because they have so rarely seen it??? Momcat, how often are you vacuuming???

Kidding.

6:40 AM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger Masked Mom said...

I don't have dogs, cats or little ones anymore--but I do have ferrets and I have to say that they are completely fearless and totally idiotic when it comes to the vacuum. Here's this thing that's like 200 times their size and LOUD, really, really loud and do they run? No! They ATTACK it. It's hilarious. The good news is the floor gets vacuumed a lot more often--just for the entertainment value!!!! :)

7:33 AM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger mod*mom said...

my daughter is usually glued to me or on my lap. one way to get her to go out with her grandparents is to say, "mommy is going to vacuum" + she's running to their car.

one time a door to door kirby salesman did a demonstration on my mom's mattress. it was grosssssss. i love vacuums!

10:59 PM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Ha ha! I run my vacuum so often that Baby doesn't think twice about it. She has her own vacuum that she insists on "running" whenever mine comes out.

11:07 PM, June 01, 2006  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Ok, Miss Debbie! In my defense (you crack me up!), I run my vacuum quite often. I have a long-haired cat. But, I usually vacuum at weird times, like when my daughter is napping and son is at school or late at night. I will remember the entertainment value in sweeping when they're both present though, it's too funny to not make a regular occurrence!

11:09 PM, June 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home