Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I've got your spin cycle, baby!

There are moments in life when you pull such a "stupid" that you can only laugh. But, rare is the moment when two ordinarily intelligent human beings brains simultaneously decide to hiccup. Yesterday was such a day in our home.

Actually, it began a few days ago when our washing machine decided to stop working. It had been doing weird things for awhile, like suddenly getting stuck with a drum full of soapy water and not moving to the spin or wash cycles for hours. Then, it would suddenly kick in and work like normal. And, the knob had broken off many years ago and my husband's great super gluing job had finally come loose on it. So, I had to do a knuckle scraping jerk to get the thing turned to the right setting. The machine was 12-13 years old, ugly and scratched up, and very annoying. But, it worked.

And, then, POOF! It did not. And it did not with about 6 loads of laundry in the cue. Now, ordinarily, I might jump for joy at the prospect of getting to shop for a new appliance. I have a secret fetish for appliances and all kitchen gadgets, I'll admit. And, those new front-loading washers sure look sexy. I hate laundry. Anything that would make this never-ending task that is the bane of my existence better, is a really good thing.

But, this comes at a really bad time, financially speaking. Why is it that when it rains debt, it pours? We've just had more painting done on our house that came in $200 higher than we were quoted (long story), we had a huge credit card bill this month, and we've got bedroom furniture to buy for our toddler. We have summer camp fees, ridiculous electric bills on their way soon, and a bevy of Mother's Day Out fees for my daughter in the fall. Can I get a "Calgon? Take me away?"

So a nifty new washer and dryer were purchased and last night we set about the arduous task of cleaning out the most dust-ridden and dirty room in our house. For some reason, the laundry room is the pit of our house--the one room I'd be horrified to show anyone. A few years back I decorated cutely in an effort to transform it from the pit. It did not take. Now, it is a linty pit with lovely plum-colored walls.

As I was sweeping up the really scary remnants found under our washer, I grabbed my electric broom and plugged it into the wall socket to vacuum. Click, click...no power. Hmmm...

I switched to the next wall socket, the one in which our washer is plugged. Click, Click. Nada.

My husband and I exchanged raised eyebrow glances and simultaneously realized something, much to our tight-wadded horror...

OUR OLD WASHER WAS NOT BROKEN, THE DAMN CIRCUIT BREAKER HAD TRIPPED ON THE OUTLET!

(Oh, believe me, that deserved all caps.)

I am a blonde, but I am never offended by blonde jokes. I even acknowledge when I have a blonde moment, and surely this was one of those. Except, my husband is not blonde and doesn't have these kind of moments. And, we both managed to have a blonde moment at the same time, costing us well more than a thousand dollars at a time when we shouldn't be spending it, which is not very funny at all really.

My husband paused and we both thought about the level of anger we could lay upon ourselves for being so stupid. I broke the silence with the first thought that came to mind,
"Oh....noooo... we just CAN'T tell anyone we did something so stupid!"
Then, he looked at me and foolishly asked,
"I guess I could call them and cancel the order still?"
I shot him my best "dagger eyes" and gave a spoiled-brat pouty mouth and said,
"Oh no you will NOT! That's like giving candy to the baby and then ripping it away right before he eats it."
In summary, we are idiots and we are now poor, but we are poor idiots with the cleanest clothes on the block. Lord, help us...

15 Comments:

Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

My washer is almost the same age as your or maybe a little older. Hope it does not let me down too.

2:12 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hee hee hee! I would never have thought to try another electrical outlet, either. And I'm not a blonde.

6:50 AM, May 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too funny!! I hate it when I do stuff like that....which I have done more than I'd care to admit!!

7:02 AM, May 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! LOL!! Blame your husband! ;)

8:01 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Ha ha ha! I'm sorry, but it is a pretty funny story! No lobster tail for you!

9:08 AM, May 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! That is sooo something I would do. Don't worry, it's not your fault. It's the circut breakers! Yep!

10:01 AM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger babs said...

AWESOME! Are you saying that's how the little one felt when you were digging all the tootsie rolls out of her mouth?!?!? (I loved that story too...)

I'm also not blonde, but I had an electrician over one time, testing all my outlets for almost an hour, because I didn't know that I had TWO circuit breakers! (one inside the garage, and one around the corner in the back yard) I was only out $75 tho.

p.s. Did you get a front-loader? They're cool AND environmental!

3:30 PM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Nicole said...

Maybe you can get some $$$ for your old set to offset the new ones? That is too funny...

4:59 PM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Just D said...

Can I tell you a story about a plumber, no outdoor faucet, and a big rubbermaid tub of dog food in the garage? No? Well... let me say that today, exactly today, I can feel your pain!

7:53 PM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Oh no!! Well ...the smell of freshly washed clothes can be a big turn on ;-)

10:12 PM, May 04, 2006  
Blogger Masked Mom said...

Ooooh, Happy new appliances! Just think--if you'd done it on purpose (to trick the husband into getting a new washer) it would be clever instead of stupid. Yeah, I know it's not much in the consolation department--it's kind of like being poor with the cleanest clothes on the block

5:32 PM, May 05, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's so funny. That washer was old, you would be replacing it soon anyways.

12:07 PM, May 06, 2006  
Blogger Karen Bodkin said...

That's hilarious - I would have stuck to the original plan too!

Oh my link has changed to www.troll-baby.com

1:58 PM, May 07, 2006  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

After 12 years with the same washer, you needed a new one anyway. Besides, I'm sure the new one is much more energy efficient. :-) Enjoy your new toy. I have a huge pile of laundry to do... When can I drop it off?
LBC

7:52 AM, May 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol. Breaker switches, bah. Tricky little switches playing games on ya. Glad you laughed, and shared.

2:37 PM, May 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home