Thursday, September 21, 2006

Important Poll: Is This Top Hot or NOT?

A few years back, my husband heard about this really stupid website from a coworker called, "Hot or Not." If you haven't heard of it, the site basically lets people upload pictures of themselves for site readers to vote upon on a scale of 1 (So NOT Hot) to 10 (The Hottest of the Hot).

We had a fun time making fun of the pictures of 17-year-old girls trying to look "of age" in what appeared to be at-home glamour shots sessions from hell. Then, there were the sad people that you just felt sorry for, who were getting voted overwhelmingly "not hot."

And, I just wondered, what would possess someone to send their photo into this site? I mean, if you feel like your attractive, do you really want to send in a photo and possibly have your bubble bursted? Don't you already know you're sexy? Or, if you suspect that you are on the homely side, do you really want to know the truth from a bunch of total strangers who could care less about your feelings when they cast their brutal votes? I mean, seriously! If I'm walking down the street feeling like I'm looking fierce on a particular day, I really don't want to be told that I am not. Just let me go on living the dream, please!

That brings me to the reason I am here today. Today, I had a return at a particular store that can only fall into the discount retail category. However, it is a great store for finding basics--good jeans, plain polo-style shirts, workout wear, etc. And, even though I wasn't shopping for myself, I spied a shirt on the rack that commanded my attention.

In my many months of What Not To Wear discipleship (read: fashion brainwashing), I have discovered that most of the time people never find what looks best on them because they don't step out of their comfort zone and try on things that are different from their normal wardrobe.

So, I bit the bullet and tried on this shirt. It is, quite possibly, the most obnoxiously loud shirt I have ever tried on. The paisley looks like something that might be found at the bottom of Prince's laundry hamper in the 80s. The colors, while nice separately, are all over the place: light olive, deep olive, cherry red, gold, tan, and so forth.

But, I put this shirt on, and to my eye, it looked very nice. It fit well and was flattering. I don't know if the loud pattern helps detract from the bulge of "what lies beneath" or if my sinus medication was affecting my judgment. But, I paid for the shirt and then wondered about my purchase the whole way home.

So, I'm hear to ask you, oh blogging public, is this shirt "hot" or "not?" Be honest now. If it looks like something my cat might have coughed up, I really want to hear it. If you could see it with an olive-colored lace "cami" and cute denim skirt, give it the thumbs up. Because I am really at a loss.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

After all, the last thing I want is to be a fashion "don't." So, feel free to let me know if it is heinously awful. Just say, "Yo' momma say it U-G-L-Y, MomCat."

OK, now, go forth ye and vote!

7 Comments:

Blogger Karen Bodkin said...

I'm with you that it probably isn't something I would pick up, but add a pair of jeans and some high-heeled black leather boots, maybe a black leather jacket or a demin one, and I bet it would make for a great bar top. :) And if you do wear it to the bar, and get so drunk you're sick on yourself, it's like burbur carpet - no one will know the wiser.

Honestly - I'm not sure! Put it on!

4:32 PM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger Karen Bodkin said...

oops ...denim....not demin.

4:33 PM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger babs said...

Inquiring minds want to know: which discount retailer? Cuz I'm lately all over Ross Dress for Less, and I used to HATE that store!

As for the shirt, the picture makes it looks like a Not. However, maybe it looks better on? I dunno... it's hard to tell! (look at me being all defensive about my vote)

4:44 PM, September 21, 2006  
Blogger Lisabell said...

It's hard to picture how it will look on a person vs. a hanger...I think, to enable us to form educated opinions, you should post a pic of you wearing the shirt.

4:53 PM, September 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...What color hair do you have?

If you have dark hair (black, brown, auburn, darkish red) then I vote "hot."
If you have light colored hair...then I vote, "not."

I really have no idea what I'm talking about...just thinking out loud what Stacy might say!

5:50 PM, September 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

okay girlie. you know I love you and that I would never lie to you.

It's a "not."

I totally heart you for going outside of your usual fashion neighborhood. But I'm thinking maybe you should try something, say, the next town over instead of a trip to Nepal and back.

MWAH!

8:48 PM, September 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I just found your blog, I hate to venture an opinion, but I will go with "have to see it on to tell."

10:13 PM, September 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home