Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Manolo Mehs...

This entry may just make a whole bunch of you crowd my comment area in a revolt, demanding that I turn in my "girl" membership card. But, I have an admission to make.

I'm really not that into shoes.

It is true! I just don't see what all the fuss is about with women and their shoes. I have never quite been able to figure that out. Shoes cover your feet. They protect my flat arches and are necessary for me especially now that I'm diabetic. But, am I going to ever spend more than about $100 on a pair? Oh, hell no. I don't even spend over $30 most of the time, to be honest, except for my sports shoes. (I shell out some cash for running shoes--I have had two stress fractures in my feet before and I'm not sacrificing on quality with my sports gear.)

Now, this admission, while trivial and small to some, is something I have tried to hide for years. It makes me feel so completely un-girly. I have tried to get into shoes. Really I have! I also own enough pairs that my husband may anonymous comment on here to argue this whole post. So, I do buy SOME--I just am way too sensible in the shoe department most of the time though.I don't have "fun" shoes. I'm not a fun shoe girl...

Hyper-stylish shoes are not something I understand. I have your basics--brown, black, white maybe for summer, perhaps a bone color pump or something like that. I have NEVER bought a pair of shoes outside of those colors. Seriously, never. Ok, maybe with a summer flip-flop. Like once. I didn't even by neon "Jellies" in the 7th grade when all the girls had them!

So, when I used to hit the outlet malls with a dear friend of mine, I sat and marveled at her excitement with shoes. The girl sometimes even let out a growl when she found a particularly hot pair. Once, I swear I heard her meow at a good pair of Clarks. Even Stacy London on What Not To Wear gets all worked up over a nice leopard print heel. Me, I look at that and picture myself falling down stairs, off a curb, and other public places because I know that's what would happen if I ever bought a uber-heel. And, I see my neighbors snickering at me behind my back--"Who does she think she IS trying to pull off an animal print?"

A local radio station is doing a big shoe giveaway here, where women call in and if they are a certain number caller they get to name their pair of fantasy shoes and they get those free from our local uppity mall establishment. I started thinking, what would I say? Manolo Blahnik? Jimmy Choo? Do I even KNOW what those shoes look like? Um, I think they are all dressy heels, am I right?

So, yesterday, I decided to browse a lovely discount shoe mecca because I was in that area of town and never have time to browse. I thought I'd find a nice pair of semi-heels that looked nice with slacks to wear to a business luncheon today I had to go to for the magazine.

Aisle upon aisle of shoes beckoned me. And, I stood there, dumb-founded. My daughter, who happens to have this girl shoe gene from a very early age, ran up and down the aisle squealing and pulling out ones she liked for me. The child is three and she already knows more about picking shoes than me, I think.

I finally dug in and started walking the place. And, I discovered something. I don't know that it is that I don't like shoes. It is that I'm damn picky about them...and I don't budge and just buy something if it doesn't meet my standards. I knew exactly what I wanted and out of the thousands of shoes staring at me I could only find maybe 4-5 to try on that met those criteria.

In the end, I settled on a slightly too casual Dockers brand black wedged heel with an open toe to show off the "pedi." I can wear them with everything pretty much and they fit my standards. Manolos they are not, but they're me.

Somehow, I know if they ever paid me a visit, Stacy and Clinton would dramatically seize upon my shoe rack in the closet and squeal, "BO-RING! Lose all of these! How can you LIVE like this?" Then, I would be forced to learn and understand things like what a kitten heel is, when to wear ballet flats, and how to walk in a 3-inch heel. Until then, I'll think I'll embrace my "blah-nicks" and go on my merry meh way...

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Don't be ashamed, you're not alone! I have never been a shoe person either. Like you, I've tried but i just don't care. I also don't care about jewelry, make-up or bath products. I think that's why I have 3 boys...I'm just not a real girl.

10:19 AM, April 18, 2007  
Blogger Alison said...

I am with you there! I did wear a lot of colorful shoes in high school & college--red, hot pink, etc.--but mainly because I'm so bad at accessorizing that I had no idea how to make sure my shoes went with my outfit unless they were the same color. I don't understand the concept of a $600 pair of shoes. And for comfort's sake, I no longer wear heels at all, unless they are short! The above comment also makes me realize one of my most ungirly sources of shame--I've only walked into a Bath & Body Works store once, and was completely lost & perplexed. I bought nothing. And I don't have even the slightest desire to go to a spa! Note that I ended up with 3 boys also...ha.

Oh yeah, and my husband buys potpourri and candles, and likes shopping more than I do. I think we're all mixed up.

11:49 AM, April 18, 2007  
Blogger babs said...

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Sex in the City, but I never got Carrie's shoe fetish. Anything over $100 is crazy talk! (in fact, I'd probably have heart problems if I were spending over $50 on a pair... I'd have to really, really, really like them) However, a good day at DSW does make me pretty darn happy.

Here's my thing I'm always scared to admit... makeup and beauty products? I'm totally fine with using whatever. Don't really know the brands. Don't care if I just buy my makeup at Walgreens. I only buy salon shampoo because I think I have "problem" hair. ;)

3:15 PM, April 18, 2007  
Blogger Masked Mom said...

This is soooo funny--I am way not a shoe person and I know exactly what you mean about your girl membership being revoked for it.

My best friend and I have a mixed friendship--she's a shoe person and I'm not. We learned a long time ago that I'm not the one to take on shoe shopping spring. One or both of us nearly sprained a muscle rolling our eyes at each other all afternoon.

4:24 PM, April 18, 2007  
Blogger Margaret said...

My name is Sophie, and I am not a shoe chick. Flip flops and purple high tops make up most of my daily wearing. I wore flats to my own wedding (with a purple dress, but I digress). I have never understood the shoe thing or the purse thing. I'd rather spend money on a vacation.
Bath stuff--I got more than enough genes for that one, though!

7:29 PM, April 18, 2007  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

I don't do shoes either! If they aren't tennies or flats... I'm not wearing them. I wear tevas all summer... how's that for exciting?

You are not alone, girlfriend!!
xo
LBC

7:56 AM, April 19, 2007  
Blogger That Chick Over There said...

I am five foot ten. High heels and I do not mesh.

10:13 AM, April 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm 40 years old and I just last week learned what "kitten heels" are and why I will never wear them.

10:23 PM, April 20, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

You've got my support on this one! If I have a comfortable pair of brown shoes and one in black and a good pair of sneakers, I'm happy!

I do love the Bath & Body Works, though!

7:12 AM, April 21, 2007  
Blogger CPA Mom said...

I am not into shoes either (I get Payless $15 or less!). Or *gasp* jewelry. Or handbags. Or brand name anything. Maybe I need to turn in my girl card too!

11:36 AM, April 24, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home