Thursday, March 22, 2007

Spring Break Hell Avoided

If you are keeping up, our Spring Break trip to San Diego started off with every sign that it would be a complete and utter disaster. Finally, when we made it on the plane (just barely!), my husband motions to me to notice a guy passing by.

Moments later, he tells me it is Houston Texan's QB David Carr, who was on our flight. As it turns out, Carr's entire extended family was on our flight as well, all riding in coach. And Carr, who will be referred to hereafter as Hottie McHotterton, was riding just a few rows behind us in what I think is the worst seat, right by the bathrooms, with his 3 under the age of 6 kids and his wife. My son balked at getting an autograph or picture during the flight. We speculated that we might be the only people on the plane who realized who he even was, actually. He actually is more handsome than on t.v., but he also looked so young that I felt very old.

The flight went surprisingly well with the kids, aside from a squirmy 2-year-old in the last 15 minutes of airtime. At the baggage claim, we saw Carr with his family again, along with two brothers (one of which had small children and a family) and his parents. My husband convinced my son to get an autograph.

McHotterton was very nice about it, although he seemed concerned that someone might realize who he was and he'd be mobbed. It didn't happen. We didn't get a picture, but my son got to meet an NFL quarterback, which was the ultimate to him. And my husband chit-chatted and made inside sports jokes while Hottie smiled politely and hotly.

From that point, the trip only got better. We loved San Diego, which has a decided Austin-y flair on a little it larger scale, and the weather is just amazing. Legoland was the big highlight, as the entire family found something to love in blockland. The San Diego Zoo is awe-inspiring. Never have I been in a zoo where I felt as if I were walking in a tropical rain forest. The peacocks that called out and then landed right in front of us as we walked in were a sign of the beauty that was to be had that day.

The animals we saw were memorable too--especially considering you are close enough to some of them to touch them. The mother and baby orangutan we watched playing a fun game of wrestling/tag had us in stitches, the baby giraffe which seem to follow my daughter as we walked by was unforgettable too.

After a nightly swim in our hotel's pool, day three was greeted by upchucks from my toddler. So, Hubs and Sun revisited Legoland while the wee-one and I relaxed most of the day. By that evening, we were ready to get out of the hotel room and we headed to Coronado Island for dinner and window shopping.

Our final day, we hit the U.S.S. Midway, an aircraft carrier ship recently retired, much to my seven-year-old's delight. A quick lunch and trip to wade in the water along the beach and we were back on our flight home. McHotterton did not grace us with his presence on the flight home, but we still had a smooth flight and the kids did great. Today I found out that Hottie is out of a job for the Texans and they've brought on a new QB. The new one isn't nearly as cute...what a shame!

So, I'm home and consumed by life again. The trip memories are still fresh and thankfully happy ones. And, now I have to find time to get our lives caught up again before I can sit down and scrapbook San Diego away. Hope you had a great spring break too!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Mr. Carr. He seems like such a guenuinely nice man. I truly hope he is more successful in his future endeavors.

And San Diego? Best place to vacation ever!

2:15 PM, March 22, 2007  
Blogger babs said...

ooooh, a hot star athlete... it's like the perfect treat for both you and your hubs! The last cutie I liked was Tom Brady, but maybe it's time to upgrade? ;)

btw, glad you enjoyed your trip!

3:55 PM, March 22, 2007  
Blogger Nicole said...

Ahh, family memories. Glad you had a great time! We aren't doing anything for our break next week but we'll be coming to Texas in July! I hope we can take the heat...

10:31 AM, March 23, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

You never know who you'll meet in an airport! Sounds like you had a great family vacation.

10:17 AM, March 25, 2007  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! We went to Legoland years ago and loved every single minute of it. I wanna go back!!!

Congrats on the autograph!! I bet that becomes a real collectors item someday soon!
LBC

4:19 PM, March 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home