Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Some sharing, before I go...

As much as I love the AI Haiku and look forward to the next one, I couldn't leave it at that for the rest of this week. It is spring break here and we're actually going somewhere this year! A trip to California, somewhere I have never actually been, and to Legoland with the kids and the finest zoo in the country, along with some other beachy hi-jinks. Here are some updates and some things I wanted to share, before I go:

  • My new editor's job with the magazine started full throttle as I was told to try and hit a deadline a mere two weeks away from the day of hire. Oh, did I mention that none of the writer's stories had been assigned? Yeah, this should be interesting.
  • Amazingly, I got everything assigned, set up some things for me to contribute and also started working on the filler content. I made the realization that this job was much like one that I had during my college years that I loved and I truly feel I'm in my element with it. I hope that once this crazy issue is out the door, I can do some long-range planning and fully enjoy things more.
  • But, at the same time, my church's mission group left and I was responsibly for nightly updates to the just-released website I helped create. This proved a lot more time consuming than I expected.
  • And, one more thing...some editing work came my way also, that will be worked on until the minute I leave I think so I can finish that too.
  • Did I mention that I REALLY need this vacation?
  • Some things that made me think this week. First, was an interesting article in Salon.com about Oprah. I am an admitted Oprah lover, but some of the points he makes about her school and the attitude the show is taking as of late really caught my attention and made me wonder. Read the article here.
  • Second, I've been thinking a lot lately about the balance women who have kids have to try and make--and the internal struggles we go through to do so. Can women have it all? I'm trying to do that with two part-time (almost full time) jobs, two kids, and numerous volunteer activities. I'm wearing thin, to say the least. This mental struggle we go through, between being a good parent and fulfilling ourselves intellectually and financially, seems to never end. And, no one put it more eloquently than dear Nicole at Sitting Still. I loved this post of hers!

So, that's about it. Happy reading and I hope to regal you with tails of family fun and a new suntan when I return!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

I'm so glad you took the job. I know you'll do great. Enjoy your vacation!
xo
LBC

6:49 AM, March 14, 2007  
Blogger babs said...

Can't wait to hear about your trip!

As for the Oprah thing, I liked how that article gave me a new perspective on "The Secret." It reminded me of how some religions believe that prayer should be able to cure your diseases... and how much that hurt one of my best friends whose dad died from cancer. She was like "does that mean my dad was inherently evil/negative and we didn't *pray* hard enough for his cancer to go away?" Just something to think about, you know?

10:00 AM, March 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home