Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A bad case of Lipnicki...

8-years-old is a magical time, as we're learning. A young boy's mind goes from Legos to...girls...well, no, not quite. Let's try that again...

A young boy's mind goes from Legos to...

obscure trivia.

Yeah, that's right. Trivia. This condition, brought on by 2nd grade public schools classroom discussions, is affectionately referred by parents everywhere as the"Lipnicki."

You remember, Jonathan Lipnicki, don't you? He's the precocious little boy from Jerry McGuire fame who won the hearts of America with his one-lined trivia nuggets throughout an otherwise forgettable movie? Yeah, he sure was cute, wasn't he? And, didn't we all know that his 15 seconds of fame would begin and end with that movie?


But, Lipnicki can go to his grave knowing he made his mark on our society now. Yes, his name lives on in 2nd and 3rd grade classrooms throughout our fair country. Parents everywhere are becoming educated about the "Lipnicki," a condition that strikes children suddenly, leaving their families dumbfounded and speechless. Sadly, there is no cure for Lipnicki currently.

Case in point--my son's ability lately to spout out random facts at even more random moments. Here are just a few of his little "gems" he's shared with us:

Hey, guys, did you know that Queen Elizabeth, you know the Queen of England? Well, she only bathes ONCE a month!

Mom, did you know that Elvis died on the toilet? He had a heart attack ON THE TOILET!

There are 53 muscles in the face! Can you believe that?

#1 son's favorite book right now? The Guiness Book, of course. He's dressing as some crazy Guiness record holder for his book character parade this Friday even.

This is all quite amusing to us right now, but a case of Lipnicki left untreated can become a dangerous thing. My 17-year-old nephew, now in the advanced stages of Lipnicki, will argue strange facts adamantly without faltering from his viewpoint, even when proven wrong. The teen apparently has learned everything from car mechanics, to politics, to the inner workings of the human body in his short 17 years, and don't even think of questioning him on it. And no one, I said NO ONE can make him change his mind!

So, one day while we were driving in the car and my son was sharing some other tidbits, I decided to throw one back out at him,

"Hey, did you know the human head weighs 8 pounds?"
My son paused from his banter, as my husband and I giggled from the front seat. Then, he knowingly nodded, missing the joke entirely, and said,

"Yes, I actually did know that. I learned it in Ms. Griffin's class."

Darn that Lipnicki!!!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger babs said...

I'm stuck on Jonathan Lipnicki being the best thing to come out of Jerry Maguire. What about "show me the money"? Or "you had me at hello"? :) btw, have you seen the SNL reruns of Horatio Sanz doing Lipnicki? Hilarious!

p.s. When I saw your title and first started reading, I was thinking to myself "Why would she be writing about that character from Grease?!?" THEN I realized that guy was named Kinicki. heh

1:20 PM, October 30, 2007  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

I'll admit, Cuba Gooding's dancing is another high point of that movie.

Cracking UP at your Grease reference.

"A hickey from Kinicki..." (giggle)

1:23 PM, October 30, 2007  
Blogger Dipu said...

Heh, I remember going through my Guinness Book of World Records phase. The world's fattest twins on motorcycles, the guy with the longest nails, all those. What I didn't know until fairly recently (because I didn't drink beer when I was 10) was that the book originated from the Guinness brewery...

12:15 AM, October 31, 2007  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Hey, I didn't know that, Dipu! Interesting!

12:34 AM, November 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home