Sunday, October 21, 2007

MomCat wants to know...

Undoubtedly, you've noticed some more silence on my end with regard to this blog. In truth, I'm struggling with a blog dilemma. When I first began writing in this format, I blogged anything and everything. It was truly an online journal.

From that, I had friends emailing and calling me asking if I was depressed or if everything was OK with me. And, everything was fine really, I had just chosen to talk about some things that bubbled up for me emotionally because that is what I tend to journal when I'm worried or upset.

So, just as when you choose to vent to a friend about a problem, sometimes my blog writings may skew others perceptions of me--making them think I am depressed or a very negative person, when in fact I am neither. (Or, more aptly, I strive to be neither!)

So, unconsciously over time, I changed my blogging style. I seemed to want to write about only funny or upbeat stories when I could, and then my reviews of course. This lead to less blogging and a disconnect with some of my personal and blogging friends out there because I was no longer putting it all out there.

And, it almost felt like I'm was being untruthful in some ways by not sharing the whole picture--the good, the bad, and the ugly. You know, like a politician who conveniently leaves out all the story to sell his stance on an issue? Leaving out information is really not that different from lying in some cases, I think.

So, I'll ask you bloggers out there, what do you feel comfortable writing about on your blog nowadays? Do you share everything, warts and all, with no cares? Do you censor yourself somewhat, only writing about things that you wouldn't mind anyone knowing about you? Or do you just keep it light and funny and save the rest for your own journal or those few peronal freinds that you trust to listen to the more negative news?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Dipu said...

As I'm sure you already know, I'm censoriffic on mine. Seems like the few times I wasn't, it wasn't worth it. But that's me. I wouldn't necessarily follow my example...

6:13 PM, October 21, 2007  
Blogger speedygeoff said...

I experienced a demand for personal stuff, despite the main purpose of my blog being different from that. So I decided my goal would be to emphasise "personal" on Mondays, and minimise it on other days.

6:30 PM, October 21, 2007  
Blogger Katie said...

I do censor mine, and I didn't intend to. There is only 1 person I know personally who reads is. But I still have a hard time. Maybe I'll try to release in the future.

6:58 PM, October 21, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I treat my blog very much like a diary... I really want to be able to look back at it in 20 years and see it as an accurate record of who I was from 2005 through whenever. I would love to be able to show it to my kids someday and say, "Look, mom was a real person once!" Ha! I censor to the degree that I don't talk about sex and I've learned my lesson to not to say anything about someone that I wouldn't want them to read, but beyond that my blog is pretty much all me!

7:55 PM, October 21, 2007  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

In some ways, I think everyone censors what they write. I know my in-laws read every day, so I keep it relatively clean...

I know some friends read, so I'm careful.. Don't want any feelings hurt.

Do I still say what I feel? You bet!!

7:54 AM, October 23, 2007  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Geoff, I like your idea of having a personal day like that. I may have to try that!

8:19 PM, October 23, 2007  
Blogger kristi said...

I talk about whatever is on my mind however, I don't share my blog address with my family or friends. I want to be 100% honest and sometimes I am frustrated with a loved one and I want to be able to vent in my blog about it.

12:48 PM, December 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home