Thursday, April 28, 2005

Just an ordinary day...yawn!

I have nothing profound to say today. You will have to read my last blog with the Seuss quote. That's as good as I can do, and I copied that from another blog even! You see, I have been RUN RAGGED today. And I am exhausted.

All last night, I had the pleasure of listening to the vocal stylings of my two children, joining in a cough chorus from each of their rooms upstairs. So, our slumber time hours consisted of "tag-you're-it-now-go-freaking-give-that-child-some-water-or-something!"

Then, my daughter woke up early today, followed by my son who informed me that he was sick and would not be going to preschool today. I knew he wasn't really ill, but his voice sounded "froggy" enough and I could tell his throat hurt. So, I kissed any free time I might have had during my one-year-old's nap goodbye and sucked it up, preparing for one long day.

The day was OK, except that I got sucked up again--this time by Old Navy. How do they sell clothes that cheap, I ask you? So, several purchases later, I walked away NOT having done the errands I needed to to do, but with a happy son who got to eat a PB&J at Panera Bread and got new swim trunks that "look like Hot Wheels flames" and a dandy pair of camouflage shorts and matching Hawaiian shirt. (Sigh...I didn't even have TIME to try on the new tunics they advertise with that great 80's Bust-a-Move song! Tell me, how is that fair?)

Then, the madness really began. My daughter's only naps were short ones in the car, because my son managed to wake her up several times while I tried to get her down for a nap at home. So, by late afternoon/early evening, she was in OVER-DRIVE. And I was wishing someone would DRIVE-OVER me!

Speaking of drive-overs (and excuse the tacky segue), did any of you catch the interview with Clara Harris on Oprah today? I don't normally watch afternoon t.v., but it was quite riveting!

So, the last half of my day was like this:
  • Catch toddler daughter dumping her brother's lemonade cup on herself and the floor.
  • Pick cup up, began de-stickifying the floor. (Yes, I like making up words!)
  • Realize that daughter is now in the pantry and frantically wipe up rest of lemonade.
  • Retrieve daughter from the pantry, but not before she's emptied several boxes of ziplocs and strung them across the floor.
  • Pick up ziplocs. Cuss under breath about only being a $!@#! maid.
  • Catch energizer-bunny daughter then pulling out the tupperware for the 50th time that day.
  • Cuss under breath at self for thinking that allowing her to "explore" certain cabinets would help "foster" her independence.
  • Realize this child at one is already more indepedent than is healthy for a person, and get a shiver at what my future holds.
  • Attempt to help son create and draw a book during all this madness, and while washing dishes from the night before that you have ignored all day because of the previous bullets.
  • Watch daughter pull out the tupperware again and begin laughing that tired/semi-hysterical chuckle that signals a meltdown or temporary insanity most days.
  • Throw your hands up in the air, pick up daughter much to her delight (damn, she's cute!), and go sit down and watch the last 15 minutes of 30 Minute Meals on the Food Network. Marvel at the majesty that is Rachel Ray!
Stay tuned, folks. I still have a trip out of the country and two 3-hour plane rides with my little spitfire to look forward to next week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home