Tuesday, April 26, 2005

An EYE for fashion?

Two blogs in one day...woo, woo! I couldn't stop myself from this one, so read below for my running update too.

Ok, I am breaking my promise to myself to not blog about family again. I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I am shocked at the news I just got from a family member and have to share. Those of you who know me, will be able to guess who this was I am sure, but I am not revealing it here just in case she ever finds and reads this blog.

This family member is rather close to me. And, she just told me that she got her EYELINER tattooed on her eyelids. She said it rather flippantly, like "Oh, we've been fine and I just had my make-up attached to my face for the rest of eternity. How are you?"

Yes, you heard me correctly. She said it was free if she agreed to do a before and after shoot for the salon, so she did it. According to this family member, it was very painful.

Well, YES! I expect that a NEEDLE sticking into your eyelids hundreds of time, dispersing tiny droplets of INK right by your eyeballs would be just a tad uncomfortable!

And, now I am sitting here thinking...why? Why did she do this? This person is much younger than me and has not hit the 30s when you start wondering about things like wrinkles and such. She never has been that into make-up or things like that. It just doesn't make sense. And, what if it looks bad? How will I be able to look at her without checking it out every time I see her?

And, now, when she's in her late 70s and I am in my 80s and we get together for family events, am I going to be able to look at this eyeliner? And, what if it gives her a bizarre alien-like look once she grows older? I'm picturing those tabloid reports of the alien autopsy a few years back. The glowing green alien with black almond-shaped recess for the eyes. What if that's the end result of this makeover for her in a few years?

I mean, you don't know how your face is going to wrinkle exactly. So, how can you know that tattooed-on eyeliner will look good in 30-40 years? I know people have tattoos removed, but it leaves a red scar. So, if she regrets this decision, can she even have it reversed without looking like a burn victim or something?

I am frightened. I am truly frightened. And I'm considering having a DNA test to see if I really am a member of my family or not!

(Note: If you read my blog and have had this done, please reply back and explain to me why this is/was a great thing. I don't mean to offend here. This is just the first in a long series of decisions made by this person that are so different from ones I would ever make that I'm left wondering how we can be of the same bloodline! And if by some bizarre chance, this family member reads this blog one day, I hope she knows I love her very much, but I just don't get what she did at all!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home