Saturday, April 16, 2005

Ahh...the glories of the second child!

So, I blog a lot about my almost 6-year-old son, because he says the most hilarious things and gives me a LOT of easy material to write about. But, I thought I'd talk about my daughter a bit today. She just had her first birthday and has really changed a lot lately.

The best way to describe my daughter, "Peaches or Peachy-girl" (as I like to call her), is that she's a bundle of determination and energy, all compacted into a tiny little body with strawberry blonde hair completely with flip-up curls in back. She's got quite a mouth of teeth, one dimple in her right cheek, and loves to laugh and smile. She never slows down.

And, I think I mentioned this before, but she has gone to new heights with her screaming. Seriously, I think if she screamed in an enclosed room full of crystal, she would shatter it into tiny shards. This isn't just the tantrum scream, this is also her happy scream. And, lately...she...does...it...all...day...long!

I have found myself asking her aloud lately, "Are you sure you are not two?" I guess this is the second child syndrome. She's so ready to keep up with her brother. She's very advanced with her walking and getting around. Unlike her brother at this age, she's not easily distracted either. I could pull him away from the dangerous object and sing a song or lure him away with a toy. Not so with Peachy-Girl. She will wait until you have your head turned and head right back for that electrical cord, cabinet of non-child-friendly things, or the opened door to the no-no land. And she will do this 10 times if she has to...to get what she wants.

She is also already having tantrums. Yes, at one...which is SO not fair to her parents! When she doesn't get her way or has to do something she doesn't want to, again with the eardrum exploding scream. My husband and I tonight decided we may have to curb our love of eating out for a few months, until this passes. That or learn how to avoid eye contact with anyone around us shooting us those "do SOMETHING with your kid she's destroying our dinner" stares!

And, my main source of anxiety right now is that we're going on a family trip to Mexico soon and I will be on a plane with her for 2-3 hours straight....praying to the Lord above that she doesn't rip into a big scream fest. I have been advised by Mom friends to take the Benedryl, no matter how cruel that sounds...because I may want her to get a little "sleepy" for the ride!

I make her sound awful and she's is absolutely a doll really. But, she's very, very adventurous and wild and...well, quite frankly I am exhausted all the time now.

Along with the exploring adventures of Peachy-girl though, comes the cute "mum-mum," the way she snuggles her head up to me and hugs me, and the real delight she shows in life in general. This girl may just be the adventurer her Mom never really quite was, but always wanted to be. I foresee a bungee-jumping, blue-eyed, red-headed, wild-child who knows how to love life.

I can only imagine the grey hair I am going to get from my darling daughter, but how much fun I am going to have getting it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home