Wednesday, April 13, 2005

No Barf, But Lots of Bah-Humbug

I'm in a rotten and stinky mood right now for a series of reasons. I'll try my best to keep these reasons short, but YOU KNOW ME:
  1. I showed up to my moms' group meeting tonight. They forgot to tell us we had to be bumped from our usual room. We got bumped to a room with no air conditioning that was roughly 1/4 the size of our normal room. So, picture this--a bunch of hormonal stay-at-home-moms, sitting elbow-to-sweaty elbow, listening to how to fill in the gaps in our resume after years of staying home. OK, if you think there wasn't a nasty sweaty/borderline B-O smell after an hour or so of this, you're kidding yourself.
  2. The speaker, in her polite and round-about-way, basically told us never to put that we are what we REALLY are--stay-at-home-moms, even if we've been home for 5 or more years. We're supposed to instead lead our resume with things like "Volunteer Coordinator" for lame-o things like being a room mom for our kid's class or organizing the gift wrap fundraiser? Give me a BREAK! Thank GOD I have done consulting work, even if it's been sporadic!
  3. I realized while I was sitting there that I really need to go back to networking and try to pick up other sporadic work so that I can at least have more than one work reference when/if I do go back to my career. This made me feel nauseous.
  4. I don't FEEL like doing this because my career really doesn't "get me going" like some people's jobs do. How can you get excited about writing online help for software that people will never read? Oh, why couldn't I have just picked a more socially meaningful job like a brain surgeon, a teacher or a counselor? More on this for another blog...
  5. I left the meeting, called home and found out that my daughter was again pulling a late-nighter. We're giving up bottles and it's not pretty folks. My husband and I have had a stomach virus, we're cranky-asses right now, and we're not very patient with things like this. (Ok, well, I'm not. I was denied "the patience gene" at birth. It really is true.)
  6. As I sit here, I have heard my daughter cough and cry out a few times, and my son just started coughing. Damn it! I know they're getting sick. They were around the cousins this weekend that seem to always bring some bug with them when they visit!
  7. The biggie--I just got my son's t-ball schedule. His game completely conflicts with my big 5K run at the end of the month. You know the one that I have been boring you with for months now? Yeah. So, no one is going to be at the finish line for me when I run that. Great. But, he can't miss because we're on vacation the following week and he'll be missing that game already. All I can do is hope for a rain out on the game. I'll be running in a monsoon if I make it to week 10, even if no one else shows up!
  8. Finally, my knee is hurting today for no reason. After Barf-fest 2005, I have not run at all. We are supposed to be running 4 miles tomorrow night. That's 1 mile more than I ran last week when the knee started hurting. I am not going. I will have missed 2 out of the 10 weeks because of this, but I can't even imagine making it tomorrow night. I suck. I suck something big and stinky.

OK. That's it for me. Oscar the Grouch, signing off. I'll be nice and say I'm sending you "caviar wishes and champagne dreams"...and sure hoping the stench from my rotten attitude goes away fast!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home