Friday, August 05, 2005

Dressin' up your apples

Ok, I am interrupting my sign-off for the weekend and posting over it with this not so vastly urgent newsflash...

TLC's "What Not To Wear," a favorite late-night show of mine, is GETTING REAL people! I love this show, but one of my beefs with it is that they have all of these people who, yes, dress hideously, but don't have real body type issues with clothes. Once they put the skinny waif-like girl in the right clothes, yes she looks fabulous. But, how about that girl whose figure resembles a tube of toothpaste squeezed to the bottom? What about someone who is a little larger in the middle? Let's be real, people, not everyone is a size 6! My other beef is that there is NO WAY I could spend some of the money these people drop on a pair of pants! $350? Get out of TOWN! Now, if they could just do an I'm-a chunky-mom-on-a one-income episode, I'd be hooked to this show for life! I mean, how realistic to put someone who spends most days at the park, running errands or at home in a pair of $450 Manolo Blaniks?

So, they must be having a marathon or something tonight. Earlier I caught the tail end of an episode with a goth-looking photographer who gets transformed into a really cute professional looking gal. This woman had an apple-shaped (read bigger in the middle, smaller in the butt and legs here) body! YAY for apples! MomCat is an apple and we LOVE those crunchy apple girls!

Now, I'm on the edge of my seat watching one with this cute plus-sized girl who had the most gigantic boobies you have ever seen. She is trying on jacket after jacket and she can't button them. She's trying to follow all of the stylists suggestions, but can't find her size. She is almost in tears! Could they JUST depict ANY MORE CLOSELY most of my shopping experiences here?

No, I'm not plus size, but I'm not super trim either. I'm your classic chunky blonde, I think...maybe a little heavy on the chunk. And, I do have a fuller chest area and really struggle finding tops that look right. To get the chest the right size, I have to buy too big of a size for the rest of my top. And these lingerie-styled tops that are en vogue now? Um, ewww. Who are we designing for now--the 15-year-old trying to look 22 or the heroin chic girl with no bodyfat whatsoever?

I can't wait to find out the end of this one. I've already learned a lot from just these two episodes!

Oh, and before I start my Bus Day 2005 countdown when I get back from this weekend, I'll promise to update you on our trip to SpaceCenter Houston at NASA yesterday for my son's 6th birthday! (Lucinda, your comment reminded me! HA!)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I've watched that show a couple times but had the same experience. No one looks even close to me and they're all spending money I don't have. I did once see an episode where this chick had giant boobs and so she wore a lot of big shirts and baggy pants to sort of hide them. They kept putting her in low cut shirts and tight outfits like trying to make them jump out more. They totally didn't read the obvious, that she didn't want to flaunt them. It sort of pissed me off, I mean, they could have helped her look a little less frumpy but instead they went for the extreme. I wanted to hug her and bitch slap those fashion diva whores!

Ok, end of rant.

9:13 AM, August 06, 2005  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

I only like these shows if the person hates his/her makeover. I saw one of those the other day. There was something about seeing the crushed faces of the friends/co-workers/sister (who assisted in the makeover) that made the raging of the makeover-ee very compelling...

6:13 PM, August 06, 2005  
Blogger babs said...

Yeah, I have a love/hate with What Not to Wear... I hate it when they do girls who just dress too trashy or too young for their age. You just simply put them in better clothes and voila! However, I LOVE the episodes where they show women how to highlight their assets and dress for their size... even the ones where they're not fixing my particular problem are so cool because the women are REAL. (and imagine how far chicks like us could strech that shopping budget?!?!)

p.s. I just saw an episode with this beautiful girl from L.A. who Carmindy hardly had to put any makeup on. BLECH!

4:25 PM, August 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home