Friday, August 05, 2005

It's a small world after all

After my serious blog about marriage, I am happy to report some good things from MomCatland.

First off, on the subject of marriage, how refreshing is it to hear a story of a great romance and proposal on the day you've had such deep thoughts about marriage and its hard times? That's what I had the pleasure of reading about here and here. A former coworker and good friend of mine proposed to his girlfriend of two years and is on cloud nine right now, and I couldn't be happier for the both of them.

Secondly, we attended our Kindergarten Round-Up at the park today. Carloads of five and six-year-olds descended on our little park, put on nametags to show who their teacher was and then played to the brink of heat stroke meeting lots of their new classmates and seeing tons of old friends. I had big anxiety about interacting with "F.B.," but everything worked out. A few faces were made at my son, but for the most part my "Wildcat" and F.B. just avoided each other. There is a more hope now for a normal school year--provided we can survive the bus rides to and from there.

Another plus from the day was socializing with tons of people I know from the neighborhood. I didn't realize how many parents of kids my son's age we actually have met over the last few years. It was great seeing someone I hadn't seen in ages and then turning around to bump into another neighbor or friend. I did this for a few hours straight and never found myself bored or standing alone!

And, the definite theme and learning point of the day comes from a childhood song. It truly IS " a SMALL world, after all." All of these friends and acquaintances that I knew around my neighborhood from various social circles, as it turns out, all know each other! It was very bizarre to be talking to one mom from my bunco group only to have another mom friend from my street walk up and then turn to the bunco group friend and began chatting about things because they were friends too!

To people who live in a small community, this doesn't sound odd. I grew up in a small town, I know. But, there are over 1,500 houses alone in my neighborhood, with a projected build-out of 2,000 homes. That is almost the size of my entire hometown! So, this small world realization was really a nice feeling that I never thought I'd have living here!

Finally MomCat is off this weekend to visit friends and family out of town. When I return, I'll try to dazzle you with tales from a great weekend away and begin the big countdown to Bus Day 2005--next Wednesday. Brace yourself for some anxiety-ridden blogs to come from this here kitty! Have a great one!

1 Comments:

Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

That is one massive neighborhood! Houston, we have a problem (sorry, couldn't resist).
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

11:16 PM, August 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home