Saturday, December 10, 2005

Putting the FUN back in Fun Run!

Ok, that old gray mare I spoke of yesterday? Well, she's gone now. And, Crazy MomCat is here and she's kicking some runner B-U-T-T and taking names, BEOTCH!

That's right, I did it! I ran in our elementary school's 5K today and managed to do well AND have fun at the same time. Will wonders never cease?

Seriously, though, I think I'm getting my mojo back and it feels so good. I ended up running with three friends of mine from my old bunco group. These ladies run long distance regularly and are all pretty fit. I had not trained appropriately for this one and worried about my black and blue fourth toe making it. But, the toe held up fine. I hooked one ear of my headphones on so I could keep the pace with my tunes and left the other off so I could chat with them as we ran.

It was really strange because the four of us are all different shapes and sizes, yet we found this rhythm about halfway into the run that carried us through and we all managed to finish together. A few even mentioned us making this a regular Saturday morning thing, which I think would be so fun.

And, after that, I came home and got the nicest email from one of them thanking me for coming to that Xmas bunco party for which I was so nervous about going. She told me the group really wants me to come back! It sounds silly, because I was the one who left the group, but this meant so much to me. I left because I was focusing on my health and freaking out about my diabetes diagnosis, but also because I didn't feel anyone really wanted me there. And they do!

Like, I said, the old gray mare's mojo is coming back...so watch out world! I just hope my sad little fourth toe can handle hitting the dance floor in heels tonight at my husband's company Xmas party. Because I plan to shake that thang!

11 Comments:

Blogger Karen Bodkin said...

That's fantastic! Way to go!!!!! You're inspiring - the running, the socializing (I have issues with large groups of people for some reason - only since I had kids though - weird eh)
Anyway - way to go!

1:02 PM, December 10, 2005  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I am running in the Houston Marathon January 15th (the Houston Press 5K part). It will be my third 5K and I find them so empowering!! Way to go today!

2:32 PM, December 10, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great--what an inspiration! I can't believe how fast you jumped back up on that horse (hm, what is it with the horse metaphors??) and went out there and did it. Seriously, I haven't run regularly for a couple of months now and I would absolutely DIE during a 5K if I had to get out there!

I hope you have a great time cutting a rug at the party tonight--shake it like a salt shaker... or a polaroid picture... or something!

6:11 PM, December 10, 2005  
Blogger babs said...

Hurray! You did it! I'm excited to hear some stories from the Xmas party tonight... you're probably there as I write this!

btw, that would be very cool to get a regular running group going. Socializing AND exercising!

7:41 PM, December 10, 2005  
Blogger Lisa said...

YAY YOU!! :-)

12:08 AM, December 11, 2005  
Blogger Masked Mom said...

Hope the toe held up for the party--you (and the toe) earned it! :)

8:23 AM, December 11, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting me via Michele. I live in TX too!

I LOVE your blog's slogan at the top.

Congrats on the run! :)

2:18 PM, December 11, 2005  
Blogger Sandy said...

I'm impressed! I've attempted running/jogging before but never get farther than a half-mile tops. So very much not my cup of tea but I admire anyone that can go the distance!

Here through Michele's tonight.

9:23 PM, December 11, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love running! :)

And bunco - though I haven't played in a long time.

eV

p.s.
came through michele

(also, your page really breaks down in safari I can't hardly read the text and it is all wonky under your menu and not where it should be, just wanted you to know.)

9:41 PM, December 11, 2005  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Yay! Congrats, Steph! You rock!!! And your page looks fine in explorer and mozilla.

10:40 PM, December 11, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOOOHOOO! Good for you! You rocked the run!!

12:14 PM, December 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home