Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The REAL question this Christmas

The real question of this Christmas at our house is WILL WE MAKE IT to Christmas without melting down faster than an ice cube on a Houston sidewalk in August? I am honestly starting to wonder if we will, actually.

My son has hit a new phase of testing out his parents, at a really bad time for us to be tested. My husband and I have been bickering fiercely, probably because of the holiday stress but also because of some underlying problems we've had for many years. And, my daughter decided to stay up until almost 10:30 last night and is refusing to let her little cranky self nap today.

This will go down as the Christmas that almost wasn't, if we make it there at all. I know it sounds dramatic, but honestly that's how it feels. I don't always share everything on my blog, if I think it will bother or hurt someone I love. I prefer to be light-hearted and funny and silly whenever I can. So, this may come out of left field for you all to read. But, life lately has been a challenge.

I'm trying so hard to remember what this season is about and bring that to my kids if I possible can. But, honestly, one thing the season has always represented for me is stress. And, that's something I want to change.

There are so many things I could go into here, but I won't. I will just say that even with having my shopping done early, the decorating done even before that, and everything in its place, this has been a rough month here.

I am hopeful, that I can look back on this later and laugh at the dramatic build-up to our holiday. That, after the presents are unwrapped and the feast is eaten, I can reminisce, "Man, I thought that Christmas was going to be the end of us, and it turned out to be the best one ever." And, no matter how much drama unfolds, I try to remember the Christmas is most of all about family and love. If I can keep those two things the priority, everything has to work out all right.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is why I enjoy reading your blog, you're honest about what's going on in your life. I hope you not only survive the holidays, but enjoy them as well!

7:15 PM, December 21, 2005  
Blogger Sarcomical said...

well whatever happens i hope you are able to all feel things ease up a bit so that the holiday is really special. :)

11:27 PM, December 21, 2005  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

I feel you, Steph. Over here, I'd call this the official Worst Christmas Ever, mainly because of a certain 12-year-old who is severely testing our tolerance.

Please e-mail me if you want to talk. I can totally empathize. :)

10:36 PM, December 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home