Sunday, January 22, 2006

Calling on Crafty Inspiration

I'm facing a creative block right now. One of my favorite bloggers and all around artsy gals, Christina, asked me to participate in a really nifty postcard swap. I happily agreed and then, mistakenly went out and looked at the cards she got from her last swap. Now, I feel overwhelmed....and under-qualified!

I am a scrapbooker in my brief moments of free time amidst the diapers and kindergarten madness. I love paper arts and crafts. And, I already have an idea for this postcard. The way it works is you make a postcard design for however many participants and mail it out. In the end, I will get 15 or so postcards from around the world, all handmade by someone that is BOUND to be more artistic than I am! Really neat, huh?

The last time around, a lot of people that participated must have been seamstresses or something, because they all used fabric in bold colors and did lots of stitching. Stitching is not as much my bag, although I have embroidered some in my life. These cards were all so amazing and so different from one another, yet all managed to look so professionally done.

So, Friday night, my husband headed to his poker night, and I sat in my scrapbooking nook and decided to just play around and see what my brain came up with, if I actually allowed it to just run wild and be creative. And, after several hours of this, what did it come up with?

Well, nothing much actually. How sad is that? I played with chalks, stamping inks, and papers and found a cool theme that I plan to do. But, I did not come up with the postcard. And, this is supposed to be do Feb 1st.

I know, you are thinking, "MomCat, relax. This is supposed to be fun!" And, believe me, it will be fun. But, my perfectionist side always comes out in things like this and I feel like I have to have the perfect card all planned out before I begin. This leaves me feeling like I'm standing frozen, with blocks of cement for shoes, unable to do anything.

So, today, I plan to venture to that dream palace known as Hobby Lobby, where the "crafties" roam free to browse and purchase in excess. I will go without the kids and with my 40 percent off coupon, which also guarantees it could be a long trip. I think that, in fact, I would take up residence in this store if I were able. So, if I do not blog again for many days, you will know that I was swallowed up in my own craftiness and I am somewhere rolling around in the "Modge Podge" finding my inspiration for postcard greatness.

One last note: say a few prayers this week if you are inclined for my father-in-law who will undergo angioplasty for the umpteenth time (this time on his leg) on Tuesday, my own father--who will find out if he is fit enough to have his leg artery bypass in early February, and for fellow blogger Theresa who has had some sort of family emergency this week. Thanks!
-----
UPDATE: Darn Hobby Lobby is closed on Sunday, but I found inspiration at, of all places, Walmart. I have some ideas that I will work up this week. I'll post more when I finish mine and after I get the postcards too!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love Hobby Lobby, expecially that online coupon! I'm getting ready to start scrapbooking like a nut, so I can get most of my pictures from the last few years into books before I take off for parts unknown. Wish we could go shopping there together. We'd have so much fun!!

Prayers going to your father and father-in-law.

8:17 AM, January 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home