Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Bitten By the Bargain Bug

I don't know what has come over me the past few months. I dare to say it, but I have become quite the shopper these days! No, I'm not saying I'm quite the spender. (Those who know me personally will know that I'm pretty much a tightwad or at the least a very careful shopper!)

I'm talking bargains, people! Perhaps it was hearing tales from some blogging friends of great deals they've found at consignment shops or online. I won't name their names, but you know who you are, oh people-with-cute-little-girls-around-the-same-age-as-mine! Or maybe lately it is just that post Christmas feeling of, "oh man, I can finally go into stores and BROWSE without being trampled into a pancake underneath the hoards of holiday shoppers!"

Whatever it is, I have been bitten hard, my friends. It started a few months ago, when I decided to venture into a local discount store that features high end items at half the price. Well, I just happened to find a great pair of designer jeans for myself for the low, low price of $12! And Christmas gift tins of cocoa and chocolates for the teachers were all under $15! Then, a few weeks later they had the cutest little linen outfit for Spring for my Miss Kitty for only $12.99! Is it actually true what they say? You just have to be there at the right time to find these things?

Next, came eBay. Yes, the very site that I have ridiculed and chastised my husband for being a frequent seller and buyer on, has now lassoed me in and I'm hooked! You can find little girls' clothing NEW with TAGS at half the price of the upscale stores! That is, if you don't get some idiot who bids it up. And, noticing how they sell, I plan to put several of Miss Kitty's adorable dresses up soon too. Those little girl garb shoppers are clever and sneaky ones though. You will think that little three-piece spring outfit complete with shoes is yours for the taking, waiting until the last 45 seconds to place your bid when BLAM someone else is there bidding up on you! It is a fight to the finish! When you win, it is as if you've won a closely matched race. You can almost feel yourself breaking through that finish line tape as you throw your arms in the air and squeal, "Yes!" Oh, my, is this bidding thing addictive or what?

Anytime I had tried discount shopping and eBay bidding in the past, I had so little patience and time that I found nothing. Could I have a shopping aura about me now that is bringing me these favorable deals? Whatever it is, I am riding the wave of shopping euphoria! Next stop, boys dress shirts, size 8!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dare not even go to ebay...

9:07 AM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Jess said...

You're right! E-bay will suck you in, though - hours later your kids will say 'Where's Mom?' your husband will say 'Where's dinner?' and you'll say 'Just five minutes more! My auction is almost over!'
I bought my wedding dress on E-bay. Preachin' to the choir, here!
How big is your little girl? Just so I'm not bidding against you....

9:26 AM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Days she is in 2T currently. Dibs on that size. HA!

12:51 PM, January 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The trick is to figure out how much you're willing to pay, go put it in 30 seconds before bidding is up, and let the computer duke it out. That way you won't go over the limit you've set for yourself in the competition and if they're only bidding up a dollar at a time you'll beat them with your auto-bid. Did that make sense? I Ebay far too often... it's an art form!

5:06 PM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Angela is right; if you set yourself a price limit then you won't get sucked into the bidding war the last minute of the bidding. I love eBay more than I love life.

5:46 PM, January 11, 2006  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Ha ha! You are funny!

This is a great bug to be bitten with. Consignment sales ROCK! I have gotten all my play group friends totally addicted!

My problem now is that every time my toddler has an outfit on and someone compliments her on it, I blurt out, "$6! That whole outfit was $6 at a consignment sale and still had the tags on it!" Thank God it's usually a mom, who looks at me sharply and says "Now where did you say that consignment sale was?" :)

8:39 AM, January 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home