Sunday, January 01, 2006

We came, we danced, we went home...no big whoop!

Just a quick update on my New Years Eve. Last night end up not being anything I expected, nor what I predicted in my previous post. Thankfully, there were NO tangos to be had. But, also, there was not a lot of waltzing.

The night was fine. Pleasant, might be an OK way to describe it. Not-earth shattering or scandalous, but not the best time ever either, might be another appropriate description. It was actually quite low-key to what I expected when I watched the ladies I know from my bunco group file in, usually ready to party their trendy cami's off.

Maybe it was the fact that my husband and I had to play a very un-fun game of tag-team with Miss Kitty, who was determined to either play in areas where she couldn't be found without at least a good five-minute panic-ridden search OR up the huge flight of stairs where the big kids were playing. I should specify here, playing upstairs meant walking amongst 6-year-old boys wrestling each other off of furniture, little girls having their emotional "but I thought YOU were my best friend" incidents, and more little boys chasing the same little girls trying to kiss them (and vice-versa).

Wait, hold up! What is UP with little boys and girls trying to KISS EACH OTHER at this early age? Sigh...I guess that's a topic for a whole other time, isn't it?

But, pleasantly, there were no verbal barbs thrown my way by the nemesis, as I had grown accustomed to with this neighbor, and really just nice hospitality, good food, and some fun people. People who I thought didn't really care if I walked the earth, but have recently shown me that they do in fact find my friendship nice.

So, we made it to 10:30 and that was about it. We had only planned to stay until ten, actually. My kids are the type of kids who DO NOT function without sleep and the longer we stayed, the more we were sure they were ticking time bombs just ready to explode on us. Rather than leave in embarrassment at a toddler throw-down or a big kid tantrum, we chose to duck out early.

We had them in bed by 11, just in time to watch Dick Clark sadly attempt to count down in New York. Once we realized it was Dick Clark, that is. At first, my husband said, "Who IS that drunk idiot who doesn't know how to count with the time?" Then, we debated the age-old question of "Is Ryan Seacrest gay or not, and is he payed to act that cheesy for REAL?"

After that, it was an attempt at lights out and bed before the actual midnight. Being the insomniac I am, I laid awake pondering life's deepest thoughts until 11:45 when some anxious neighbors decided to start their fireworks frenzy early.

Did I mention that my son is terrified of fireworks? Oh, I didn't? Well, then I failed to tell you that we almost didn't make it to the party because he didn't want to go outside due to the mere sound of fireworks being set off blocks away. And, when we left the party to walk across the street to our house, he had to hold his hands over his ears and sprint at our insistence, or he'd have happily stayed their all night.

So, when the fireworks really started to go off actually on our street, he started to scream. The blasts went on for almost an hour and so did his crying until I finally agreed to let him sleep in our bed and I took the couch. Welcome to another non-sleeping night, MomCat!

I am not quite sure how to handle this fireworks phobia of his. I had thought he'd get over it by this year. The kid loves monster trucks and race cars and screams around this house at pitches loud enough to shatter crystal. But, the sound of a firecracker pop seriously sends him over the edge. I feel bad for him. I have tried reasoning with him and all sorts of tactics. I've decided that the next step is earplugs until he can get over it.

So, that's all the news from here. New Years Day was filled with a great, but lengthy, service at our church where we got to sing Christmas hymns one last time, a nice lunch at the in-laws, some vegging time here at home and then our kids playing outside with neighbors before we tucked their tired bodies into bed. One more day of Christmas break, and then we go back to our school schedule. I thought I'd be searching for playdates, and things to entertain my son, but amazingly the break has just flown by at a seriously rapid rate. I can hardly believe it is already over!

More tales from Christmas soon...so stay tuned!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad that there was no tangoing to be had!! As for the fear of fireworks... my sister was terrified of them too, but did eventually get over it around age 7 or 8. My dog on the other hand, different story ;)

And how depressing was Dick Clark... I'm thinking this was his last New Year's Eve broadcast. Oh well, here's to a grand 2006!

11:49 PM, January 01, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hopefully you won't have to experience any more drama with the nemesis. Glad you had a "nice" time. As for the fireworks, I guess earplugs would help, but I'm not sure. Sorry your little guy stresses out over them.

9:53 AM, January 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site! We don't have little ones but the dogs barked at the fireworks all night, lol.

Vicki :-)

6:16 PM, January 02, 2006  
Blogger Masked Mom said...

When you really think about fireworks, it's amazing more people (especially kids) aren't terrified of them. My dog was a freak about them, too--she would bark,whine and whimper whenever they went off in our town. She was okay with thunder and lots of other loud noises but fireworks and, weirdly enough, hot air balloons really got to her. Our town hosts a balloon rally every summer so it actually was an issue at least once a year!

Glad the evening was tango-less & can't wait to hear the rest of the holiday stories.

6:17 PM, January 02, 2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

Well, maybe it wasn't the party of the century, but at least you and the nemesis made it through in one piece, right?

Happy New Year!

7:53 PM, January 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for the fireworks phobia...maybe you need to take active steps to help him overcome his fear. Maybe try setting off small fireworks far enough away from him, but with his knowledge, and gradually moving them closer/making the bang bigger over time?

7:47 AM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Glad the party went well...

And I went to college with Ryan Seacrest. He's definitely NOT gay! ;)

9:24 AM, January 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home