Sunday, January 15, 2006

Resolution Report Card

I know what you are thinking. Here it is about mid-January and you're getting damn tired of reading everyone's blogs with their resolutions. You're telling yourself, OK, the gym will clear out in just a few more weeks once everyone gives up on the losing weight thing, and things can get back to normal again! And, sadly, you're probably right.

I have several resolutions this year. Some are repeats from many years past and some are new. Thanks to blogging, I was able to look back in some old drafts and see my resolutions from last year and see how I did throughout this year. Did I achieve my goals? Let's see:

2005 Resolution Recap
#1: Lose Weight
Sadly, no. But, I have so far this year! Down almost 5 pounds in 3 weeks. This is at the top of my list again this year. I am a newly diagnosed diabetic and I now don't only have my own esteem on the line, I have my health too. This time, you will see this as a success on my list for 2006.

#2: Take Care of Myself Better/Get Fit
A mixed bag--yes and no. I did do this in some aspects. First, I joined a running program and competed in a few 5Ks. I run several times a week now, as well as do aerobics and lift weights. It sounds strange because I'm still about the same weight, but I feel more fit than I have in years. But, I have not gotten better about getting to bed earlier. I still run myself down by staying up late night after night and then have to crash and catch up. This is a big issue for me that I'll focus on for next year.

#3: Get More Involved at Church
Yes! This one has happened more recently, actually. I am starting to finally form some connections at our church, and I'm really enjoying it. My husband and I are doing a parenting class on Sundays and also doing a class on Wednesday nights about the foundation of our church. My son's just started the children's choir and had a great time the first meeting for that too. The progress in this area of my life makes me feel very happy these days.

#4: Plan a Cool Family Vacation
We actually DID this, but I already want another. Last spring, we went to Mexico and stayed in an all-inclusive resort that had a wildlife park attached to it. It was amazing. See here, here, here and here for more on this. Oh, and here! Oh, man...do I have the travel itch now!

#5: Find More Time for Hobbies/Fun
Nope. I still wish I could stop the clock and have like a week or two that I could just fill with all my projects. My irons in the fire have multiplied. One thing I have done better at is not committing to do volunteer things for various social groups I am in. I now keep it to my own projects at home, which I have yet to finish--like my daughter's first year baby album (yes, she's almost two!), or her Christmas stocking (yes, she had a cheap one from a craft store this year!), and I have 3 books on my bedside table that I can't seem to finish because I'm too tired at night OR I'm blogging away instead.

I feel pretty good about how I did this year with my resolutions. Enough so, that I've set some new ones. One of these is definitely losing those pounds I need to lose for my health.

So a few weeks ago, I made a commitment that I haven't blogged much about on here. That's because I'm blogging about it on here, actually! That was, to finally lose this weight and to commit to changing my life forever to do this. No more excuses. No more do-overs. I joined Weight Watchers again. I have had success with this program that I could have kept going had I not purposely abandoned everything I had learned. (If you are looking to lose weight and would like a supportive group of like-minded bloggers to cheer you on, just click on the above link and you'll find it!)

So, when you climb onboard the weight loss train right at its first stop, a new year, there is bound to be overcrowding in the cars. We were warned that our meetings were going to be packed and we'd need to get there early most of this month to get a seat. The first week of January, the line to weigh in was out the door at my meeting place. But, the second week, I was forced to go to a very early 7 a.m. meeting on Saturday. I was just sure that I'd get there and walk right up to the scales, surrounded by a few really elderly people who get up at the ass-crack of dawn. Why is it that old people always get up at the ass-crack really?

What I arrived to was nothing short of utter chaos. The 7 a.m. meeting was packed! And, instead of the older faction of weight loss enthusiasts, this place was stuffed full of "over-stuffed" moms (pardon the pun) in their 30s and 40s. I heard a lot of groaning. The ladies who do the weigh ins, were rolling their eyes and commenting on how it was always this way in January. But, I really found it quite inspirational. If that many chuckoramas like myself can drag their pudgy asses out of bed at 7 a.m. in the morning on a Saturday, well I'm just darn sure we can put an end to this war on terror and do a LOT more big things in 2006!

What is it that makes us want to be more than we are? What is it that drives us to change? And, is this a good thing, or a form of self loathing? Should we love ourselves just as we are? Or were we put on this plant to continually improve ourselves while we are lucky enough to be here? And, how many of us will fail this year? What will that failure mean to our self esteem? Is it better to NOT resolve than to habitually resolve and fail? And, most importantly, will I ever stop this constant barrage of questions?

One thing I know for sure. I must achieve some of my goals this year. But, another thing I know is this--I must also forgive myself if I don't achieve them all. Because no one is perfect, and thank GOD for that. Imagine what a boring world it would be if that were true--no heinous lines at the January Weight Watchers meetings and a damn empty gym to boot? Oh, my! Now we can't have that!

3 Comments:

Blogger Chrixean said...

I personally think change is a marvelous thing and is the best thing that can ever happen. Just think how life would be if we were to never change! And how awful if we were doomed to stay a certain way when we know that deep down we could be much better!

It's not about being unhappy where you are or about self-loathing, but about wanting what we know is best for us. It's out there, so go get it! And if we fail to reach our goals this year, there's always a next year, and a next. While there's life, there's hope. And to hope for a better change is always a good thing :-)

1:10 AM, January 16, 2006  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

I love this list. We are so alike. Because I've had many of the same resolutions.

I want to lose 15 pounds, and that is totally doable. I've just got to get with the program. Thanks for the inspiration!

10:18 AM, January 16, 2006  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

I think to make changes in our lives takes baby steps. If you change too much too fast, you end up going backwards in the long run. You are doing terrific! Keep up the good work!
Ladybug

7:55 PM, January 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home