Friday, January 27, 2006

Number Two...Go towards the light!

I swore that I wouldn't be another mommy blogger who talks about poop, but here I go. I solemnly vow to keep these posts to a minimum if at all possible.

My son has had some weird ailments the past few weeks. After having strep with no symptoms, aside from a headache and not eating, he returned back to school this week. But, he still wasn't eating well and complained of stomach aches now and then, which me, mother and designated worrywart, in my usual worry mode.

This morning, we were standing at the bus stop chatting, when a neighbor friend mentioned that her son had been complaining of a stomach ache a lot lately. She had been really worried about him and suddenly it dawned on her. When was the last time her son had pooped? And it turned out that was his whole problem.

Those with older kids may have had this moment, where you realize that you have no idea when your child has gone or if they have gone at all lately. When they are babies and toddlers you are up close and personal with their poop whether you like it or not. If my daughter has five poops in a day, you better believe I will be telling my husband all about it when he gets home and planning just when I will be starting potty training up no matter what age she is. But, my son? Well, my son is halfway to seven. I trust that if he needs to go, he will...and that's that.

So, my neighbor friend starts talking about the story of the little girl who played Carol Ann on the Poltergeist movies. I had remembered she'd died not long after those movies and I knew there was a lot of urban legend that has circulated surrounding her death. Apparently, she died from a bowel obstruction that caused a rupture and brought on septic shock.(I did research this an it appears to be true.) Her parents and doctor thought she just had the flu, until it was too late. Surgeons could not save her. Her own poop had actually flooded her body and poisoned her to death.

As I watched my dear son get on the bus, I felt sick inside. Because, I had no idea when the last time was that my kid pooped. And, his behavior lately indicates this could be the source of his problems. You know, these are the parenting moments when you really know why you are getting gray hairs and that crease in the middle of your forehead is starting to resemble the Grand Canyon.

And, so I sit here fighting my instinct to humiliate him horribly by running up to the school with Metamucil in hand. But, I will not. I will trust that he'll be fine and I'll usher him home from the bus to a nice snack of fibrous fun and have a big Q&A about his bowel movements as of late and the importance of pooping regularly. He will be embarrassed, but his Mom will be able to breath a sigh of relief and stop thinking about phantomous poops and how her kid is growing up way too fast for her comfort.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Where have you been? I need some feed back from you about closing ceremonies for the Blogger Oly. as well as some "made up awards" like best whiner...etc. please, please, please, my brain is fried from all this mayhem, scandals and controversies! I'm already getting offers from the tabloids!

email me please: kbennetch@msn.com

9:58 AM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

BTW....my middle daughter (now 26 and would be mortified for me telling you this) decided when she was about 7 that "Nice people didn't poop! so she would surpress the urge everytime she had it) I really think she didn't want to use the bathrooms at school either. Same complaints...they did xrays and found out she was all plugged up ....did you know that there are pediatric enema? Instant results.

Oh, oh, I think she actually had a BM that may have hurt when it came out so she was afraid to go after that!

so much for the nurse and mom in me!

10:04 AM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, thank goodness you came to your senses. If you popped in at school with Metamucil, he'd never forgive you!

I do hope he's okay. Feed him some yummy bran muffins or some Raisin Bran and maybe he'll have some relief! Bless his heart.

11:56 AM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

I am the pooping guru. My daughter has suffered from chronic, self-induced constipation for almost 2 years now. It is terrible.

Slip him some milk of mag. Usually that will do the trick for a child who is just a little backed up. If it continues, go to the doctor ASAP. There is probably nithing wrong, but chronic with-holding can become a HUGE struggle.

Email me if you have any questions!!

12:25 PM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger babs said...

i absolutely LOVE the Poltergeist reference... isn't it WEIRD all the deaths around that movie? Good luck being on "poop patrol" this weekend. Poor thing (you AND him)!

1:02 PM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

No worries guys. I did NOT embarass him at school (I stick with things like car dancing to do that) and my son came home and acted fine. We did have a little talk about the importance of pooping, so all bases are covered!

Lookin' forward to hearing your wrap-up of the Olympics tonight, Lazy!

6:57 PM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Dale Challener Roe said...

I'll keep it short and poop-free....damn...i couldn't do it.

Funny post.

Here via Michele's today

8:28 PM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Thumper said...

It is soooooo tempting to go in and ask my 22 year old if he's pooped today... LOL

9:43 PM, January 27, 2006  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

When my girls moved in with us, my 12-year-old had horrible gas and constipation. It seemed like her stomach hurt all the time. I made vegetables for them every night- Broccoli was almost always somewhere in there- and within a month or two, the horrible stomach ailments completely disappeared. I really think the vegetables (and daily vitamins) are what did it. They also haven't been sick yet this school year. Before they lived with us, it seemed like they were sick every other week.
I just make frozen Green Giant vegetables- the ones with the sauce. They take only a few minutes and they are fantastic. That way I can focus on my main course. I read that frozen vegetables are actually better for you than superamarket vegetables because they're flash frozen right off the vine and retain all their nutrients. Cool, huh?
Good luck with the pooping! :D

1:22 PM, January 28, 2006  
Blogger Theresa said...

That's what we moms do...

I have to ask my youngest every day if she's pooped recently. Joy.

8:35 AM, January 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home