Sunday, January 29, 2006

Seeing Silver

Well, the Blog Olympics have come to a close and closing ceremonies have all wrapped up. In the end, I came out seeing only silver. No gold or even bronze.

But, do you know who kicked ass and took names and took home the overall gold? Why that would be fellow bloggers Running2Ks and regular old whiskey talker himself, Uisce. (Clever name, isn't it?) Both gave stellar showings and blew the pants off the rest of the competition. Seriously, where are my pants?

My six-medal silver showing does not come as a surprise to me. I have always been a "silver" kind of person. Good, but not good enough to be a real champion.
  • In high school, I easily made the varsity squads in basketball, volleyball, cross country and track. I was not a star by any means though. No MVP here. Just silver....
  • I was a competitive baton twirler at the same time. Lots of silvers and second places there too. Good, but not good enough...
  • I went on to college where I earned a solid 3.0 grade point average. Silver.
  • I was in a sorority where I ended up being the scholarship chairperson for the group. The only problem, we had the lowest combined GPA of all sororities on campus. Say it with me: S-I-L-V-E-R!
  • I then went to work at a news station as a news producer on the weekends only. Simon says? Silver.
  • I switched careers, got married, and became a technical writer where I often was promoted to lead small teams of writers for various product lines. Didn't move past there to a manager's spot though. High ho, SILVER!

Putting that shiny gray color aside, the Blog Olympics was quite a hoot. The competition was fierce, but the laughs were even more intense. I laughed daily at the antics of Dave of Sugarloaf Mountain. Lazy Daisy's daily wrap-ups were hilarious, and I even got my name mentioned a few times in those. Barbara was definitely the hostess with the mostess, and I thank her for the fun experience.

All and all, it was a fun a bonding experience with fellow bloggers. I highly recommend it for anyone interested next year.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a lunch date with Nancy Kerrigan, Michelle Kwan, and that South Korean dude who got pissed at Paul Hamm for getting the Gold in gymnastics. Oh, and Jan Brady and The Beav' will be our keynote speakers, discussing the topics "Life in second place...learning to love being almost good enough."

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Mom Cat - Tell me what part of blogging you are golden in, maybe I can fix the games for you next year!

2:24 PM, January 29, 2006  
Blogger Tamara said...

I am surprised that your life has been cursed with silver. We don't seen enough of each other and now we've lived in different cities for so many years, but I still feel like I know you so well and I aspire to what you do. You do everything! So if you are silver, I just decided to be happy to go for bronze...

8:32 PM, January 29, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

We're in the same boat! 6 silvers here!

Congratulations!

9:40 PM, January 29, 2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

congrats! Great job! You all looked like you were having so much fun that it made me wish I would have joined in. Oh well, maybe next time!

10:01 PM, January 29, 2006  
Blogger WendyWings said...

Congrats on the silvers, I am cursed with always finding out things are over before I even knew about them LOL

3:13 AM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Theresa said...

I think you're gold in my book!

8:38 AM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

Laughing hysterically....now you tell me!! I was always the last kid picked in gym, or the towel girl! Girlfriend, you should have been doing the news! I bow at your alter of Silver. Totally brilliant piece of fluff you have here,"Marcia, Marcia, Marcia....now I really feel like a Jan!

10:33 AM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Dipu said...

Hi ho, silver! Hey, silver is still better than nothing!

Signed,
A fellow lifelong second fiddle

10:42 AM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

I participated in every round and got no medals what so ever, nada, nothing, zero. Six silvers seems lux to me.

1:52 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Hehehe, Barbara! You are the "founder," the grand "poohbah," the reason we all competed. Don't you know you are higher than gold!

P.S. I wasn't really whining, just being silly again, although now that I re-read, it sounds very whining!

1:53 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Running2Ks said...

You are good enough, smart enough, and gosh-darnit, people like you. Even without pants :)

2:16 PM, January 30, 2006  
Blogger Uisce said...

Thanks for the kind words, and by the way, I think I saw your pants on eBay. Very reasonably priced!

3:18 PM, January 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home