Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Inquiring Six-Year-Olds Want to Know

There are many times when I've whined to friends and on this blog about trying to communicate with my six-year-old son. Getting him to tell me something about school each day is like pulling teeth.

And, then, there are evenings like tonight:

"Mom?" (short pause)

"I think I saw a corvette like I won on the playstation game today just now. It was awesome."

"Hmm...ok, that's good."

"Mom what is D4?"

"What?

"D4, you know the robot like R2D2? Is it a boy or a girl?"

"Oh, I don't think it is either. Robots are robots. They can be made
to look like boys or girls, but some just look like machines."

"I think Dad should let us paint the Mustang like Star Wars...Darth Vader. No, Yoda! I bet he'd let us."

"I don't think so, buddy, but I'd sure like you to ask him if he would and see what he says."

"Mom? What is on his passport?"

"What?"(pause)"Oh, do you mean what stamps are on his passport?"

"Yeah."

After rattling of the few I know of, he added:
"I want a stamp on mine for Antarctica because I want to see the North Pole. I know people don't go there much, but I really want to. And I want to see the England bridge. Have you seen the England bridge?"

"What? Do you mean the London bridge, from the song?"

"Yeah, that one! Have you seen it?"

"No, I've never been to London. You know, I don't even know if that bridge still exists. I should look that up on the internet."

"Yeah, look that up. And, Mom?"

(MomCat starts feeling very question-weary)

"Yeah?"

"Where is Grave Digger from? Mexico?"

"No, I think his driver is out of North Carolina." (I'm proud I know this, as it makes me much cooler in my son's eyes to know something like this about his favorite
monster truck.)
Now, what is the one that is from here?"

"King Krunch, Mom. Look that up on the internet too. We need to go see it."

"Yep, we do."

"What does four 'x' four mean on that truck?"

"Honey, that's four-by-four, we've talked about that before."

"Oh, yeah..."

Suddenly, from the other side of the backseat:

"SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Mommmmm! Shhhhhhhhhh! Ryyyyyy, Shhhhhhhhhh!"

I'm guessing I'm not going to have this problem with my daughter at six!

Now, I'm off to scour the internet for answers to all of this stuff so I can am ready for 5,000 more questions tomorrow morning in the car! Don't believe 'em when they question your abilities after staying home from work for several years with the kids. I am definitely a lot smarter now, thanks to my son!

10 Comments:

Blogger Carol said...

That was awesome! My almost six year old boy isn't very communicative, either, but when he gets on a roll - he gets on a roll!

10:17 PM, March 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can help you with one of those. London Bridge is in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. Seriously.

http://www.outwestnewspaper.com/london.html

12:01 AM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Isn't it amazing how children can ask so many questions? They don't seem to ran out of it. Their questions are endless.

4:00 AM, March 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have two kids like that, who can chat so long, ask so many questions, that I can watch the gray hairs popping up on my head. ;)

7:59 AM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Ahhh, out of the mouths of babes :)

You aren't alone. My daughter is the queen of questions!

9:20 AM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Nicole said...

My oldest is almost 6 and he's the same way. I can only tell he's upset about school what he starts taking it out on his brothers. But he'll usually open up at bedtime when he likes to talk to his Dad or me alone.

11:10 AM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Alison said...

Here's a crazy one my 5-year-old just asked me in the car: "How many years will there be?"

I just said, "Nobody knows...I hope lots!"

He also asked why we don't feel the earth spinning around, which direction it spins in, & why we aren't all leaning in that direction. I hate questions like that, because when I try to answer them, I realize I have a much poorer grasp on the answers than I would have thought! I'm always resorting to "we'll have to look it up"!

2:01 PM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Tamara said...

I cannot WAIT for Elias to communicate with words. Remind me of that in three years, will you? ;)

4:15 PM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Kimberly said...

I get the 20 questions from my 6 year old too. She gave me a humdinger the other day after watching an episode of Wife Swap with me. (at the end of each episode they do an update on how the family is doing since the show - this particular couple got married after the show aired)

My 6 year old looked very puzzled and said "Wait...you don't have to be married to have a baby??"

"Well....um....no..." I stammered.

"Coooooool" she replied.

YIKES

6:08 PM, March 09, 2006  
Blogger Just D said...

The questions just keep coming...and sometimes you DO know the answers and you ARE cool!

9:34 PM, March 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home