Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Body Parts Defined

What kind of kids am I raising? Sometimes I really have to ask myself that question. Yesterday was one of those days, that is for certain.
----------------
While pointing at my chest region, my toddler proudly announced:

"Mommy elbows!"

"What?" I questioned. "No, sweetie, these are my elbows (pointing to those pointing things on my folded arms)."

"Noooo, Mommy." She knowingly patted my boobs and again announced, "Mommy, elbows."

"No. No, sweetie. Those are my...my...uh, boobies." (for lack of a better word in the moment.)

"Mommy boobies?"

"Yes, yes, that's right."

"No,"
very confidently she laid her head back on my chest using it as a pillow, "Mommy elbows here."

Pulling her shirt up, she looked at her own chest and then added, "And MY elbows!

And I really felt like saying to her,

"Darlin,' if you want to call 'em elbows, go ahead. But, after two kids only a that memorable gold Madonna bustiere would make mine look THAT pointy!"

-----------------

Meanwhile, my son has anatomy down to a "T." Recently, we took him to see the Astros' play at the ballpark. One of my husband's least favorite players came to bat. He explained to us that the guy's nickname was "Private Punchout," because he always struck out when it really mattered.

My son giggled wildly at this. "Private Punchout?" he asked with a huge devilish grin.

Since that time, my son giggles anytime the Astros' are on and repeats Private Punchout's nickname over and over again.

Well, my husband finally realized why. As he pointed out, my son wouldn't realize that the word "Private" is referring to a title of a military person.

I've taught my son the medical terms for his body parts. I didn't believe in calling it a "wee-wee" or a "wing-dinger" like some people. (OK, I did call them boobies, but I was on the spot, people!)

So, he knows it is a penis. But, in general when talking about the nether regions, we refer to them as "private parts."

And, all these weeks that he's been repeating "Private Punchout," and cackling away at this, he's been thinking we're letting him get away with calling some baseball player a penis head or something!

In six-year-old speak, this is the height of humor, let me tell you! I mean, that's SO much better than belching your ABCs at the dinner table!

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

He's been a happy little boy! My nephew loves to repeat something he heard on TV that contains one of his forbidden words. He thinks if he's quoting someone else, he's not going to be held responsible for what he says. Dang, kids are great!

6:33 PM, June 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the new look!

2:30 AM, June 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm. Well. Actually, I think your son and I would get along REALLY well, because I definitely giggled everytime I read "Private Punchout" because I totally didn't get the military rank reference. And I'm IN the military! Good to know that I'm a six year old boy at heart!

And I LOVE the new look! Beautiful.

9:11 AM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger babs said...

omg, I LOVE your new design! very, very cool!

9:20 AM, June 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lolol, too funny. These are gonna be great stories to tell when they get older!

2:33 PM, June 22, 2006  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

LOL!! It's so funny what they come up with!!
LBC

4:36 PM, June 24, 2006  
Blogger Chris said...

My kids call their underarms their "coochies"--apparently a short version of "coochie-coochie-coo" when they get tickled. It raises a few eyebrows when my seven-year-old says "can you tickle my coochie?"

10:25 AM, June 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home