Thursday, June 08, 2006

Stepping out of the shadows...

About a year and a half ago, I jumped into this blogging world. It wasn't long before I'd found all the big name blogs, and found some favorites through those that have stayed with me all this time. Around that time, I made my first blogging acquaintances. We began commenting on one another's blogs and emailing one another occasionally. It was wonderful to find a connection with some other mommy bloggers out there who were experiencing lives similar to my own. I'd been home for several years, but still found myself struggling to fit into the role I thought I should be playing. Somehow, blogging and the friends I've made through writing online, has made this whole stay-at-home thing a little less lonely and overwhelming.

Well, one of my favorite bloggers has just had a birthday. And, not only did she share her birthday with us, but she treated her readers to quite a big reveal on her site. Yes, Lucinda at Suburban Turmoil has outed herself! And, I don't know if it is because we connected right at about the same time in our blogging experiences, because we have daughters very close in age or because I really feel like I know her from our chats with one another, I just felt giddy when she "came out" of the mommy blogging closet!

Is this a new trend? Maybe so. Another blogger I read also has a picture of herself front and center on her site too. Should I do the same? I don't think I'm quite ready for that yet. But, I do admire these women. I think it all has to do with feeling secure in who you are, not being afraid to say what you think no matter who reads it, and to own those thoughts and beliefs. I look forward to the day when I am comfortable enough in my own skin to do that as well.

So, hats off girlfriends! You continue to amaze and inspire me! And, to the girl formerly known as Lucinda, best of luck on your new writing adventure!

8 Comments:

Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Well, maybe you can keep reading for a while first and see whether rotten tomatoes are thrown at me in the supermarket, or a freak named Ned Nedderson shows up at my front door demanding to know where his wife is!

I have worries about this whole thing, too, but ultimately, I'm really excited to see what happens! Thank you so much for your sweet post and for your friendship. You're the best!

6:11 AM, June 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was fun to "meet" Lucinda and I'm hoping that the reveal goes well for her. If you decide to do the same, I will be there with the karaoke version of "I'm Coming OUT!" Singing loudly.

8:05 AM, June 08, 2006  
Blogger Jess said...

What a nice post!


We'd love to meet you too!

8:11 AM, June 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very happy for Lucinda. Erm, Lindsay? It sounds like a dream come true for her. And I LOVE how excited she sounds in her "reveal" post.

This whole blogging connectivity is an amazing thing. For me, especially so because there is no judgement based on anything other than the words and pieces we all choose to share with each other. I consider a few of my blogging buddies among my best friends, with no "real life/blogging life" designation. And they've never seen my face, for the most part. It's incredible.

Then again, I'm a serious chicken. :-)

7:42 PM, June 08, 2006  
Blogger Masked Mom said...

Yay, Lindsay! And...if I didn't live in such a small town, I'd definitely think about it. Even though I'm technically anonymous, I am still a freak about saying the "wrong" thing, etc. Maybe I'm just not cut out for the blogging thing at all.

7:30 AM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

A Mom Cat by any other name would still be as funny and clever!

10:05 AM, June 09, 2006  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Do whatever you are comfortable doing.

I'm gonna read you anyway.

1:47 PM, June 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gah! That's me! Haha... this pas week or so has been horrible for my blog reading, but this does explain why I had a rise in referrals from your site, lol!

I kind of love having people know what I look like and knowing what my bloggy friends look like, because it makes it all seem a little more like "real" friendships to have a picture in your head of who you correspond with. But it's truly whatever you feel most comfortable with, ya know?

12:18 PM, June 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home