Friday, June 30, 2006

It ain't all good, until the wine gets spilled...


Bunco night.
I've written before about my bunco group. First to joke and talk about how I felt so out of place, then to tell how I quit because I felt even more out of place. I took a break. Then, I was asked to come back. And, since then, I have to say it really hasn't been the same. We don't even play bunco anymore, choosing instead to play a game of "bad-ass dice" so we can all sit at one table.

The bunco gals somehow lost their mojo along the way. These were the women who I could count on for raunchy humor and altogether wildness that made me cackle wildly and blush all in the same breath. It wasn't uncommon for a boob to be flashed or someone to joke about their sex life (or lack thereof). More wine was consumed by this group than any of us cares to acknowledge. In fact, we joke that they should call our group "drunko," really because that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

For those who know me personally, this may not mesh with the "MomCat" you know. But, I really think being in this group has been a good thing for me. I play the straight guy well on the jokes. They loosen me up, and I laugh harder than ever with these ladies. I may not be able to drink a few of them under the table or tell as wild of tales, but every great story needs someone to hear it, appreciate it, and laugh. And, that's my place in the group--the designated listener and laugher, I suppose.

So, tonight, I thought it might be the last time we'd ever meet. Our numbers have been down and even this evening the turnout was low. But, a core group of old members were there, including a great gal who moved away earlier this year. And, suddenly, mid-evening--move OVER, Stella--our bunco group got its' groove back!

There was shameless boasting, there was story embellishing, there was altogether hilarity. And, then in a crucial battle to hijack someone's cell phone who is addicted to text messaging, the wine got knocked over...ONTO MY LAP and the hostesses cream-colored BERBER carpeting!

There was apologizing and frantic carpet spotting. There were offers to write me a check on the spot for my skirt. And, then...at last...there it was--the laughing. And, I left grinning ear-to-ear because this was the old group of gals that I'd missed for almost a year. Ladies I'd known as long as I'd lived in my neighborhood who have shocked and amazed me more than once, but who I still find myself in completely enjoyment to be around. I didn't think once about my current list of problems and stresses--I just laughed and laughed until my cheeks hurt and tossed in my share of dry sarcasm at choice moments and got a few laughs myself.

I think, sometimes, a little wine just needs to get spilled to make you loosen up and cut loose for a little bit, and stop being so damn serious about it all. So, cheers, everyone!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've got a bit in common here. I was in a Bunco group, quit, and was asked back. But didn't actually go back.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

6:33 AM, June 30, 2006  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

Sounds like you have a really fun group of girls! Can I come to drunko next time?
LBC

7:35 AM, June 30, 2006  
Blogger Masked Mom said...

Don't cry over spilt milk but it is okay to giggle like hell over a little spilt wine! :) Glad you had a good time.

4:12 PM, June 30, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, yeah, wine and friends! Sounds like a fun bunch. Glad to hear that you let your hair down and had such a good time!

6:37 PM, June 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home