Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Cash back incentives abound!

It was a strange day of attempted paybacks in unexpected places for us today. The last time this Crazy MomCat and her young brood attempted to grocery shop, I foolishly let the kids get the mini-kids cart, thinking they could push it together or take turns. We only needed to get six things. What happened next was pure grocery store hell for everyone who witnessed it.

My daughter went nuts with the mini-cart, screaming and running as fast as she could towards every end-caps filled with scary breakable items, such as wine bottles. My son squealed and screamed because he wasn't getting a turn, and tried to jerk it away from her. And, at one point, I completely lost it and raised my voice to them both vowing to never allow this again. I darted out of that store with my tail between my legs and my head down, fearing what neighbors heard what had just gone down.

This morning's trip was surprisingly much better. We got the standard cart and got our business done. Passing by the cereal aisle, I saw a mother frantically running to keep up with her two kids, each of which had their own cart and was racing the another down the row. The kids looked to be about three and five, and the mother was obviously at wit's end. I sort of grinned to myself as we turned down the next aisle. That's when I heard it. The screechy sound of a mother reaching the point of no return.

"WE ARE NEVER, EVER GOING TO GET THESE CARTS AGAIN? DO YOU HEAR ME? THIS IS THE LAST TIME!"

I spontaneously giggled out loud and then threw my hand over my mouth to contain it. I was laughing not because of her plight, but because those were the exact words in the exact tone I'd used the week before. I felt like going and giving her a big hug, but decided against it, lest she think I was completely nuts.

And then, as we got to the checkout, I began loading items on the belt when out of the corner of my eye I saw it. Someone had dropped a twenty dollar bill when they set down their hand-held grocery basket. And, it was sitting there, right at our feet staring up at us like a pretty Christmas present with a big red bow on top. If I were not an honest person, that $20 would have gone in my pocket that minute. But, I was frazzled and hurrying to get done and so I chose to just leave it, thinking maybe someone would be running back up to get it realizing what they had done.

Later the same day, on the way home from my son's swim lesson, I realized we forgot one thing at the store, so I dared to venture back.
My son exclaimed, "we only need two things? Oh, we can get the little cart again!"

"Oh, no we will NOT." I firmly added, "We are not getting any cart. We will walk and get what we need and then do the self checkout. No free cookie, no cart, end of story."


My kids did well again, and we began scanning our few items at the self-checkout. I decided to get some cash while I was there, but when I began to enter in the amount, I looked down and noticed my daughter waving around a five dollar bill. She had just been playing around the cash return on the machine, so I can only assume someone had gotten cash back and forgotten it there.

I stood staring at it for a moment. Wait just a minute. Was it possible that the grocery store was paying me back for my kids acting better this week? No, no...that couldn't be. Or could it? I handed the five to the cashier and told her someone must have left it. I still wonder if we weren't being tested somehow, by some hidden camera watching to see how honest people really are nowadays. Oh well, I guess I passed! I have to say though, the next time I go there if I find more cash, I'm going to take a hint and pocket it already!

What about you? Would you have taken the cash following the old finders/keepers thing? Would you have turned it in or ignored it? More importantly, do you think it is possible that my grocery store is, in fact, alive and actually paying me for keeping my kids in line?

7 Comments:

Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Deep questions, Crazy. Or should I address you as MomCat. No, I think Crazy fits better here.

I would not have picked up the $20. I wouldn't feel as bad about the $5 if you could beat, I mean find out from your daughter where it came from. Otherwise, yes, the grocery Gods were smiling upon you and your darling brood.

9:15 PM, July 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Lord how I hate those kid carts. HATE.

I would have taken the $20 and tried to bribe the manager into removing them from the store.

11:01 PM, July 12, 2006  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

I would have taken the twenty. I would have considered that pennies from heaven. My grampa sends me pennies from heaven... that would have been a lot of pennies!!

I hate those stupid kid carts. They are nothing but a pain. I never ever let my kids use them.

Is your grocery store alive? Hmmm... maybe

6:02 AM, July 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the store IS alive and trying to thank you. What a great thought. ;-)

On another note, I would be most interested in knowing what the cashier did with the money. Did your integrity get forwarded, I wonder? I'd like to hope so.

9:52 AM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger Nicole said...

I would have kept it...since there's no way to find the true owner of cash. Once I found $100 on the floor of a shop I worked at. I told my boss and we waited a week for someone to claim it. No one did so I got to keep it!

I only take my kids to the store when it's absolutely necessary...I usually go once my husband gets home...

10:10 AM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger Masked Mom said...

I once dropped a hundred dollar bill when I was paying for stuff at the drugstore. At my next stop, I looked for it (to pay my phone bill), totally freaked when I realized it was gone and then I went back to the drugstore and someone had turned it in. I always try to remember that when I find cash (which has happened a few times since)--but I can't say it's always gonna work.

I'm always kinda hopin' for the hidden camera test, too--and then I'll be eligible for fabulous CASH prizes for passing the test!!!!!! :)

3:36 PM, July 13, 2006  
Blogger Babaloo said...

I almost choked on my gum! Yes, the store is paying you back for keeping your kids in line! What a great idea. We should all be rewarded for that.

5:10 PM, July 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home