Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My obsession...

I feel the need to purge my soul and admit an obsession from which I suffer to you tonight. Yes, I think it is about time that I fess up. I am addicted to recipes. That's right, I said recipes. I love to collect all things cookable.

In the old days, I gathered myself quite a collection of cookbooks. I'm not a baker by talent, but I love to cook and try new things. I love it so much, that at times I'm sure it drives my husband crazy because I don't ever make the same thing twice unless it is requested.

But, with the online era, I have moved my recipe searches to the web. And, I gather huge amounts of them each week, either bookmarking or printing off recipes that I intend to try RIGHT AWAY, only to have them sit in my kitchen or my office nook waiting for me to find them again.

Last night, I went about the chore of cleaning my office nook/scrapbooking area. There I found a good 10 or so recipes all printed out waiting for my attention. So, I carried them downstairs to the kitchen, where I have about another 20 stacked up. And, then there's the binder. When I try a recipe and like it, it moves to my categorized binder of recipes I've found online.

The only problem is, sometimes I forget about the binder and so I don't ever go back and fix the recipes that I made and liked again. Food network does not help me with this, and neither does my DVR. I record my favorite cooking shows, watch something good on TV and then go print out the recipe to add to the pile. It is truly a sickness, I tell you.

Now, with the push for healthy eating, I've been more out of control than ever, desperately seeking lower carb, higher fiber and generally better-for-you fare from tons of websites. One of my favorite new sites for healthy recipes is the World's Healthiest Foods site, but I also frequent Weight Watchers message boards and other cooking sites.

So, as if I didn't have enough, I'm going to add to my little problem here. Reply back with your favorite recipe sites or tastiest recipe finds. When it is all said and done (if I have the commenters for this topic), there will be a whole new list of resources and yummy dishes to feed my recipe habit (and yours if you so choose!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Masked Mom said...

I was just talking to my daughter about my recipe-clipping issues. I've been carrying around a recipe for baked apple french toast (I photocopied it at work and tucked it into my wallet) for going on seven years now and I have NOT ONCE made it. Does that stop me from continuing to gather recipes? Not even a little. Luckily (probably for both of us), I haven't gotten hooked on any on-line recipe sites (at least so far).

10:25 PM, November 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recipes are very fun! I'm on a Rachael Ray cookbook kick. And before that it was a church cookbook kick. I botched a lot of the meals, but other's I've mastered!

10:46 PM, November 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home