Saturday, February 16, 2008

A milestone...pathetic, but a milestone...

I had this trip this weekend that I was all sort of anxious and happy/excited about. It was to a church conference of my church's diocese. I was flattered to be nominated to be a representative and while I didn't win the vote, I still got to go as an alternative and have my registration paid.

So, driving there yesterday, I kept wondering, why I am feeling so giddy about this? The trip was only to Galveston, no more than an hour or two away.

Then, something I am almost embarassed to admit came to me. I am a 37-year-old woman who has never checked into or stayed in a hotel by myself!

I am dead serious.

Every work excursion I've taken was for a conference where we always shared a room. I've traveled all over Texas to see friends, and even flown to visit a few. I never stay alone. Scrapbooking retreats--I've driven all over Texas...to stay in a cabin with other friends.

The realization of this made me feel sort of pathetic and weak, actually...but also quite determined to enjoy it.

The irony is, I barely got to do that. After packing bubble bath, a ton of magazines I've saved up to read, a few good books and making plans to just veg and totally enjoy myself, the conference opening service ran very late that evening and after a short social hob-nob time I didn't get to my room until around 10:30 p.m. Then, after calling the hubs, getting ice and a drink, unpacking and trying to wind down, I didn't get to bed until close to midnight thanks to being in a different surroundings. I had to get up at 6:30 a.m., but was woken up by neighbors at 6 a.m. by their repeated flushing of the toilet. (Someone had major cloggage next door!)

So, I had around six hours of alone, independent woman time...during which I was sleeping! Not enough for me, actually. I can't tell you the number of times as a mom of young children I have fantacized about just planning a time when I could check into a semi-foofy hotel and just sleep, tub soak, and read to my heart's content in the silence of my room. Not that I don't love my family--but I have always been the type who needs some solitude time. I'm not sure why.

Now, that I have had a mini-taste of this, something tells me I'm going to want more of that sometime again! Hmm...a scrapbooking weekend by myself in a hotel room? I'm thinking I'm on to something here!!!

On an unrelated note...have you ever caught yourself aging yourself forward by mistake? I am 37 and turn 38 at the end of July. I swear I have been telling people (and maybe even on this blog) that I am 38 for several months now. What the hell? I could at least get it wrong by making myself younger! More proof I need a vacation...right? (wink, wink)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

LOL!! I've never stayed in a hotel alone either!!!

12:54 PM, February 17, 2008  
Blogger Nicole said...

Congrats on your first hotel stay alone! I love solitude, too. As the mom of young children it's nice to get away and not have to fill anyone else's needs for a while...don't ever feel guilty for enjoying it ;-)

6:25 PM, February 17, 2008  
Blogger babs said...

I know what you mean... sometimes, I absolutely LOVE silence. It's like the total definition of being an introvert... people are draining, so you need to get away to recharge. (whereas, extroverts actually get their energy from other people)

I hope we get to catch up soon. I want to hear more about your life as a "free" woman, out from the crush of that dream job. :)

7:17 PM, February 17, 2008  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

I stayed in a hotel alone for the first time when I was about 22 years old. I was so petrified that I ordered room service and never left the room!

Now the last time I went out of town alone, I did enjoy having the bed ALL to myself.

7:08 AM, February 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home