Monday, February 11, 2008

Of resignations and retail therapy...

Just so I don't keep you wondering after that last post...I did manage to quit my job today. It was an interesting experience.

Let me just say this--I have quit a few jobs in my past. Even with the ones that where I was leaving for a huge raise and/or incredibly burned out...even with the ones I hated with a passion...

I never left those jobs and drove away beaming with an uncontrollable smile and inner contentment as I did in leaving this job.

I typically cry and get emotional later as I feel bad to let anyone down. It is a hang-up I have, actually. I didn't feel that way for one second today. That really says something.

It also says something that after trying to convince me to keep up the website portion of my job, for I'm sure low pay (which I declined politely), that my publisher flippantly dismissed me without a bit of eye-contact and immediately began typing an email while I was still sitting right in front of her. I am sure she expected me to slink out of her office without saying another word.

I couldn't help myself. I stood up and stuck my hand out in front of her and forced her to shake it thanking her for the experience and walked away with my head held high. And, before my foot stepped outside the door, I had already felt the pressure of a few elephants taken off my shoulders.

And, afterwards I decided that, even though I was taking this all so well, I probably should have a little retail therapy at my favorite out-of-the-way scrapbooking store. (No major financial damage there, hubs, so don't worry. grin)

For the past few weeks, I have been sent a very clear message in many different forms--that I need to be grateful for the life I have been given and start actually enjoying it for a change and start taking care of myself so that I can enjoy it. Today, I took a major step in doing that and it feels really good...

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good for you!

6:04 PM, February 11, 2008  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

Yippeee!! Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall to see what happens next??
xo
LBC

8:57 PM, February 11, 2008  
Blogger babs said...

Hurray! I'm so proud of you. This is a great Valentines present to yourself.

12:28 AM, February 12, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go girl!!!

Pam

8:54 AM, February 12, 2008  
Blogger Nicole said...

I am so happy for you!! You are my hero!!

9:34 AM, February 12, 2008  
Blogger Lisabell said...

Congratulations -- your feeling upon driving away says it all :) It was a good experience for a while, and now it's good that it is over.

12:41 PM, February 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home