Friday, August 29, 2008

Politics Unusual...

OK, I've already been horribly flamed for the first time this week for a small email reply to a family and friends mass email that was sent out (long story), so I'm now going to break pattern and just go ahead and talk about what many are buzzing about today--politics.

Namely, I'm talking about McCain's choice of Sarah Palin as his VP running mate and the buzz that is coming at us from the media about that choice. Most of what I've read implies a sort of shock at McCain's choice. Words are being thrown out from the media such as RISKY and BOLD. From the Democrats, we're hearing words like DESPERATE.

As someone who has typically voted more conservatively, but who is actually right in the middle when it comes to political beliefs between the two parties, I have to ask one question. Really? Is it really so risky to have nominated Palin? And, honestly, why does nominating Palin constitute the comeback insult that he was desperate?

Honestly, I know very little about Palin other than what information I just learned about her from the news. So, I do not profess to be any sort of political expert.

But, if you asked me, McCain's choice is actually more brilliant than bold. Palin is the mother of five. She's got one son headed to Iraq who enlisted at 18 on September 11th last year. She's affiliated with unions. She has an infant born with a disability. She's fought against corruption in her state, a state which is one at the center of a lot of environmental debates. She's married to her high school sweetheart who has earned quite a few honors of his own.

How is this risky, I ask you? In one fell swoop, McCain has gotten the attention of half the population. Women, and especially mothers, are taking notice. Not since Ferraro have we had a female VP candidate and that's really pathetic when you stop to think about it. And, listening to Palin's feisty acceptance speech, this mother is very excited to watch debates and see what she has to say. So, instead of mumbling about this being so risky, I'm willing to bet there are a lot of women out there saying IT'S ABOUT TIME and THANK YOU!

While Palin has less experience, she brings enthusiasm and youth to the argument that McCain is too old. While I respect McCain's service to our country and think he's a solid Presidential candidate, the age factor has definitely hurt him as has Obama's fresh approach and great ability to inspire his listeners and give them hope. Palin could bring that to McCain's campaign easily, based on the speech that I just heard.

Does experience mean everything in a candidacy? I'll admit, Obama's lack of time in government has me a little concerned. And, the Republicans have blasted Obama continually for being all talk and having little on his record to prove he can lead. Now, they are turning to charisma and less experience to balance out their ticket. I, for one, think that was a very wise choice. A vice-president with less experience is less risky than a President, but also could mean great things for our future. It could be a balance that proves quite successful in the end.

Oh, and by the way--in addition to women, McCain has gotten the attention of union members and any military persons he did not already have on board with this nomination.

I've waffled this election between feeling apathetic and passionate. Between voting conservatively as I'd normally vote, and jumping on the Obama bandwagon, holding my breath and hoping it was the right choice.

I am not a left liberal. I am not a staunch conservative. In fact, I do not have a clue at this moment in time how I will vote at all for once. But, what I can say, is for the first time I am excited to see who will end up being our President and Vice-President.

So, let the debates begin!!!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Roni said...

I'm as liberal as one can get and I think the move was GENIUS! I mean really, it was very smart.

This is going to be one heck of an election and I think it's such an exciting time in politics, something I normally have limited interest in.

Really think about, history will be made no matter what this year!

12:31 PM, August 29, 2008  
Blogger Thumper said...

I fall right in the middle politically. Registered democrat, but I don't vote on party lines. This is the first election I've been really excited about in a long time because of the possibilities. Either candidate could do a god job.

But...

I think Palin was a mistake as McCain's VP nod. Go for a woman, sure, get the pissed off Clinton supporters (although they are political opposites...) in his corner. But at least pick one that doesn't come with issues (we're looking at a VP candidate who wanted to fire a state trooper...and it turned out to be her sister's ex, who was involved in a bitter custody battle...among other things.) And for all McCain's harping about Obama's lack of experience...he chose a first term governor (experience is not an issue for me...I don't have a problem with the perceived lack of experience, just the harping about it.)

I like McCain. I was hoping for a stronger VP choice, if only to make the next couple of months more exciting on the political front. With Palin as his choice, he may very well have handed the oval office over to Obama.

But I don't have a problem with that, either. Face it, whoever gets elected can't do any worse than Dubya...

12:52 PM, August 29, 2008  
Blogger Nicole said...

Amen Amen Amen, MomCat! I am so excited about this choice! I was worried he'd pick the same-old same-old like Romney. This was a genius move. I don't know how many Hillary people he'll draw because Palin is so pro-life, but it doesn't matter. He picked her because she is from way outside Washington (unlike Biden) and she is AWESOME. She has an 80% approval rating in AK. I think the debates are going to show the stark differences between all the candidates and I think this could end up being a landslide victory in the end. SO exciting!!!

5:01 PM, August 29, 2008  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Well, thumper, the more I read the more I'm hoping you're not right about Palin. Those ethics allegations are pretty serious, so I hope they find the truth about that soon. And, I get what you're saying about the hypocrisy of preaching of Obama's lack of experience and then basically turning to that for their own campaign.

Regardless, like you've all said--it's going to be an exciting ride to the finish line, isn't it?

9:19 PM, August 29, 2008  
Blogger Nicole said...

Even if the ex-BIL story turns out to be true, which it hasn't been, as far as a character indicator that's nothing compared to someone who sat in a church for 20 years listening to their pastor curse America. I think the fact that she proceded with a pregnancy and gave birth to a Down's baby (90% of which are aborted these days) speaks volumes. She walks the walk. And she actually has MORE experience than Obama, who is running at the top of the ticket, not VP.

11:07 AM, August 31, 2008  
Blogger Masked Mom said...

Without getting too deep into the conservative/liberal divide, I will say that I think McCain's choice was not only not risky but was very, very calculated and deliberate. As is so much in politics.

I wish I shared your enthusiasm but I feel like this election is being sold to us as "history" when, in fact, it's business as usual in so many important ways. I kind of feel all the hype about history (first black nominee, woman VP, etc, etc) is a way to distract us from the really important questions that neither candidate really has a satisfactory answer to.

PS--Kudos for broaching politics on your blog. I'm still chicken after the time I mentioned a country song in a somewhat negative light and ended up in a "shouting" match with an anonymous commenter that dragged on and on and on...

6:10 PM, September 01, 2008  
Blogger BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

I'm with you...I don't doubt for a second that McCain and his staff put a lot of thought behind their selection. You think they just decide these things overnight or "just" because she is a woman?

Any way, I hope she kicks some butt tonight during her speech. I've never considered myself a staunch Republican or liberal Democrat either...but somewhere in the middle.

7:34 PM, September 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home