Wednesday, August 13, 2008

MomCat Reviews: VeggieTales- Tomato Sawyer & Huckleberry Larry’s Big River Rescue

Has your family discovered or enjoyed the Veggie Tales over the years, as mine has? We watched our first Veggie show when my son was probably about 4 or 5 and we loved it. So, I was very happy to review this latest video of the veggies (yes, for a free copy of the video--can't beat that!)

That silly humor that makes both kids and parents laugh interspersed with Christian values and fun songs is back and this time the veggies are taking on Mark Twain in VeggieTales: Tomato Sawyer and Huckleberry Larry’s Big River Rescue.

In this video, Tomato Sawyer and Huckleberry Larry are two friends rafting along the banks of the mighty Mississippi River. Tom and Huck are planning on buying some land, building a home and opening Huck’s dream business, "Jerkyland," and Tom’s Tax Preparation office. But everything changes when they meet a hilarious stranger who is on the run and trying to find his mama. Tom and Huck have to make a choice about helping others in the end--a message that will hopefully stick with kids and parents alike.

Aside from the story, one thing I like about this video is that it is only 50 minutes long. That's a perfect length for my 4-year-old as she tends to get restless after about an hour of a movie still. And, the video includes another hilarious Silly Song, "The Biscuit of Zazzamarandabo," that had us in stitches. I love how the video includes outtakes, and stories about how they came up with the story, songs, and interactive features for the kids to play. My kids had fun taking the trivia quiz to see if they remembered the story they'd just watched.

To get a glimpse of this new DVD, check out the trailer here. I know my kids thoroughly enjoyed it and, even I enjoyed it. When I can say a kids video makes me laugh and doesn't make me want to run screaming from the room OR put me to sleep, then that's my endorsement of a good family flick. So, this MomCat gives two big "green" thumbs up for "VeggieTales: Tomato Sawyer and Huckleberry Larry’s Big River Rescue."

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My girls are 8 and 10 now, but when they were younger we had all of the Veggie Tales tapes. My personal favorites were the Very Silly Songs tapes. I still remember some of those songs. They come in handy when I want to annoy friends ;)

11:00 AM, August 15, 2008  
Blogger kristi said...

My son loved them a couple of years ago. He liked the Penguin ones too! Sooo silly!

12:32 PM, August 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home