Monday, July 28, 2008

Scumbags do exist, Dorothy...even in OZ...

Dear Slimy Faux-Finishing, Bottom Feeder of an Excuse for a Human Being,

When we had our minor fender bender, of which didn't even bend a fend by the way, you seemed like a decent human being. There we were trying to back out of an overly crowded parking lot at the local gymnastics place. While I definitely was looking, and you said you were looking, somehow I still managed to back into you in my SUV at a very slow roll.

At the time, I felt incredibly bad. We got out and you looked to see if there were damages. At first, you said you didn't see anything. But, then you saw a few scratches, which I'll admit I had seen and I'm sure I made. Two small scratches over the wheel well, to be exact, and one small dent equivalent to that you get from a minor door ding.

We exchanged business cards and both apologized. You said you didn't see me at all as well and it could have just as easily been you hitting my car too. You said you would get your friend who owned a garage to look at it, but you were sure it would be a quick and minor repair. No big deal.

Simple enough. My husband had me ask you if we could just pay you for it, rather than contact the insurance, because we assumed what it might have totalled was well under our $500 deductible.

Imagine our surprise when two weeks later you finally decide to go and get an estimate only to come back with a request for $800, which included all sorts of suspicious other "fixes" that we assume had nothing to do with our minor run-in. So, my husband politely said no. Take it somewhere else, the estimate was ridiculously high. We knew this because his mother's car was recently fixed with way more damage for less than what your were asking. You agreed to this, kindly saying that you thought it was really high as well.

It really wasn't until today that I realized what you were trying to pull. That was when you called with stories of how busy you were and how you just didn't have time to drive the car 15 miles to have it looked at by your friend. But, you somehow had time to drive it 15 miles the other direction to a dealership to get your next estimate, which was for $1300. Now, suddenly you're talking about needing a rental car for the 3-5 days it will take them to fix those two small scratches and door-ding level dent, which of course would be an additional $300.

I am not a stupid person. I know when someone is trying to take me. And, apparently, you are stupid because you even admitted to my husband weeks ago that you weren't going to have the original estimate garage fix your car--you were going to go have your friend do it for cheap. Why you shared this with us, I will never know. Something tells me you don't make a ton of money in your faux painting business though...

Regardless, I really didn't think there were that many people like you out there, at least in our neck of the woods. But, given that you are a suburban mom with small children, just like myself...AND you live in a decent neighborhood and drive a nice SUV and can afford to take your kids to a weekly gymnastics parents day out, I guess liars and cheats live everywhere.

I'd love to look at you in the eye and just ask you how you feel good about yourself, trying to rip off another mom who had her hands full, just like you. How can you feel right calling me and pulling this on me, when you know you are not going to fix anything on your SUV and you're going to pocket that cash.

You will have a rude awakening, little faux painting, fake tan suburban mommy. My husband is now ticked off and has said he'd rather pay a lawyer than pay you anything. You have messed with us on what has been one of the hardest month's in our marriage when both of us have been over-stressed, with little sleep, and you are about to feel the wrath of that.

Is it unfair for us to take our stresses out on you? Maybe so.

But, how fair is it for you to do what you are doing?

I was/am more than willing to pay a reasonable amount for you to get the scratches and small ding fixed. You could have taken that $300-400 and pocketed it and walked away scott free feeling like you'd really taken us. But, now you've decided to try and get greedy, and so now you will learn not to mess with the MomCat and her family.

By the way, we frequent the same gymnastics place, remember? So, I will be watching to see if you fix any scratches on your car with any money you get from us or our insurance (if we give you any at all) and I will be reporting you if you do not.

The claws are out, beeoootch...so watch out!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, people are just disgusting. I don't know why people have to look at minor accidents like they're a major payday. Too many commercials from scummy accident/injury lawyers in my opinion.

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time of it, and I really hope that this all gets straightened out soon. Hang in there, baby!

4:04 PM, July 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl!!

6:37 AM, July 29, 2008  
Blogger Dipu said...

I have learned to expect the worst out of anyone involved in an accident now. They may cry their way into blaming the other person when it was unquestionably their fault or they could lie about having insurance while trying to blame the other person for stopping at a red light instead of running it. And some, it appears, seem to feel like it's a gold mine they've stumbled upon. I was very lucky that the last person to back into me in the parking garage left his card and took care of it all, but I still believe that sort of person is as rare as a parka in Texas. Accidents bring out the worst in people. I don't know why, but they do. This person must know that an estimate from a dealer will be much higher than elsewhere. Three to five days?? Are they replacing panels or something?!?

7:24 AM, July 29, 2008  
Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

People are just plain old nasty.
I'm sorry you have to deal with her.

Hugs to you!
xo
LBC

7:27 AM, July 29, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh* people suck.

and I HATE when this notion is reaffirmed.

9:14 AM, July 29, 2008  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Dipu, I know that YOU know of my anger...and have been there more than once...and thank you for commiserating.

You guys just rock--this is why I love having a blog. I can be pissed off and vent and you are there for a "go girl," a hug, or just some understanding.

Virtual hugs to you all!!!

9:46 AM, July 29, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home