Friday, August 08, 2008

We interrupt this regularly scheduled sleepover update to bring you...

...a big ole' RANT!

Is there some list of controversial topics that is floating around among the "hit hungry" blogging moms out there that I don't know about?

Because it certainly feels like there is. It feels like there's a whole movement to blog controversial things just to get the comment frenzy that results. After all, hate comments are STILL comments, right? And comments get you more writing gigs? And free stuff?

How authentic are you being when you run down the list of what you think will offend every one of your readers just to get attention? And really, how nice it is it to turn on the very people who have read and commented and made your blog the success it is today?

I'll share something personal here. I know my blog may get boring. It may get whiny or depressing too. And, I don't post enough and I write too much when I do! This is my journal and what I need for my own sanity. And, I could use some thinking outside of the box here to come up with some fresh stuff. I hope to have that once school resumes and I can get back to a normal life and schedule.

And, yes, I do product reviews, so I am not trying to be a hypocrite. And, most of those reviews are good because I choose to not review things I don't think I'd use or like. I do try to be entertaining and try to improve my writing along the way.

BUT, I am not going to choose topics to write blog posts about that I think will get a bunch of comments, either good or negative. I don't write this blog to see how many comments I will get. I write it for me. Period.

Recently, one of my first mom blog finds chose to call it quits for awhile right after attending BlogHer, stating that she felt it was time, she didn't really feel like she always fit in to all of the mommy blog scene, she needed a break, etc. I was sad because this is a blogger whom I've actually met and while she may not have meshed with my friends well, I still enjoyed meeting her. I enjoy her sassy attitude and the fact that she doesn't try to be like anyone other than herself. Plus, she's a heck of a clever writer. And, dang, I'll miss her blog.

But, what will I not miss? Reading certain blogs that have basically turned into the equivalent of tabloid websites, posting whatever they think will shock and offend. Because, guess what? Those blogs are coming off my Bloglines reader today! ZAP!!!

Rant over...more on my son's sleepover experience soon! Thank you for listening, uh I mean reading...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So, I've kind of backed off from blogging myself, but I've had to make the same cuts to my blogroll. If your life is all drama/all the time, I find it exhausting. And I'm tired enough on my own, dammit.

That said, love you! and love that you're back more frequently here!

6:41 PM, August 08, 2008  
Blogger babs said...

of course, you know I'd read you whereever you chose to write... but I still had to give you a shout out. I love your blog, no matter what format it takes. (and I would've loved to have gotten to eat some of the goodies at your son's parties! you're a great mom!)

10:38 PM, August 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home