Tuesday, September 09, 2008

This is SO not a review...burp...

This kind of blankety-blank. This box of carby naughtiness is the type of thing that has been my downfall. Yes, I crave chocolate on occasion. But, most of the time, it's this kind of snack that I can blame for my undo-ing.

I'm currently reading Jillian Michael's (of The Biggest Loser fame) book, Making the Cut. And, what have I learned? Well, that I'm a "fast oxidizer" for one. And, what does that translate into in regular language? Well, carbs are not my friend.

Tell me something I don't know, Jill.

For some time I have known I needed to get on a high protein/low carb bandwagon. I've read about Glucose Load and high and low GI foods. And, I've followed women bloggers who have had luck following that way of eating.

But, what I'm struggling with right now is finding something that works for me. I have never been big into "diets," per se. I don't buy into it unless you're going to will yourself to eat that way forever and ever, amen.

Truth time here. Lately, I've been out of control with snacking and not watching what I eat. I think I've just grown tired of thinking about it all, to be perfectly honest. It is all that I can do to take all the pills I have to pop in a day for my health issues. But, preparing and planning foods ahead and writing down all that I eat. I'm soooo tired of it. I've done it off and on for so long. Yes, I've done Weight Watchers. 3 times, or maybe more...thank you.

The other night, I was at a jewelry party in my neighborhood when one of the socialite types of our neighborhood was there. Instead of being snooty as I might have expected, she was quite friendly. Now, this could have been because she was promoting her own little direct marketing business. But, something she said got my attention. When someone asked her how she stays so thin, she just came right out and said something most women wouldn't admit:

Actually, I don't eat anything. My friends and family are always worrying about me because I never eat. I've always been like this. I eat way too little and it isn't healthy.
Well, thank you for your honesty, I thought to myself! Instead of just going, "What? Oh, I don't diet." or acting like she wasn't thin at all, of which both responses I've heard many times before and it completely irritates me, she just said it like it was.

And, I kind of envied her a bit, to be honest. And, I know that's not exactly healthy to want to be like someone who has a potential eating disorder. But, when you don't have control over what you eat, it controls you. So, having too much control? Well, that would be a refreshing change.

So, I'm going to keep reading my book and I'm going to look into reducing my carbs drastically, and I'll keep on working out as usual. I'm going to try to replace the unhealthy snacks in my house (which aren't AS unhealthy as a lot of people's--I still try to find healthy options) with veggies and fruits that work both for me and for my family. Because I can't control myself around the snack mix and while it isn't fair to my kids to have to eat my restricted diet, maybe I can teach them to crave OTHER things so they don't wind up like me...

...more than a few pounds overweight with two boxes of 2 for $5 freaking snack mixes in my pantry calling my name. UGH!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen Bodkin said...

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm stuck again and I read the same book and am the same fast oxydizer person too.
I'm trying the South Beach diet with Hilly (Snackie's World) and yesterday found light babybels and turkey bites (skinny and long sausage like thingies). I also found bread that was low in carbs and high in protien - I think it's called a 'farmer's rye.'
Snacking is a huge problem for me too. I find I have to just go to bed at night to avoid eating. It's only been a day so I don't know if it's working...good luck to you!

Oh and if you go to the South Beach website, you can get daily emails with meal ideas in them. Most of it is yum!

10:54 AM, September 10, 2008  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Ooh, the turkey bites sound good Karen. Thanks for the tip! I love turkey pepperoni too and Laughing Cow cheese wedges.

Thanks for the tip on the SB website. I have almost done that plan a million times. I know it's the closest diet that I have read that would actually be doable for me.

Good luck with your plan!

11:44 AM, September 10, 2008  
Blogger Nicole said...

It's so hard to eat right with kid food in the house! I am totally addicted to cheez-its. Now you've got me craving them. Thanks!

And good luck with Ike! I hope you aren't too close to the coast. I'll be thinking of you!

4:44 PM, September 10, 2008  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

Stick with it! the biggest thing I did? Totally clean out the kitchen of all bad things. My shopping cart doesn't resemble the old shopping cart anymore.

also key? buying and planning your snacks - have a variety of good snacks on hand.

You work out so thats a huge thing! Stick with it! You will get there....

6:54 AM, September 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home