Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Don't hate me because I email...

Email has screwed up my life. It is true. Before email, I communicated as any normal human being would. If I wanted to chat or had a question for someone, I'd pick up the darn phone and call them. No big whoop.

But, now that email's taken over the world, I've let it be my social buffer--and at times that is not a good thing. I tend to have a tad of social anxiety about calling people and disturbing them. It is just so much easier to send a quick email that they can answer when they have the time to read and answer it.

But, this has gotten out of control completely for me now. I even email my next door neighbor sometimes! Recently, a friend of mine made a joke to said neighbor (in my presence) about how I email rather than calling. And, I felt like a big dork.

Maybe I don't like the sound of my own voice. I don't know. Email just seems less intrusive to me. But, there's always the problem of friends who do not check their email often. When I look at the friends I've kept over the years, they have one thing in common. No, it isn't common interests. It's that they are emailers! I have lost touch with most phone friends entirely!

And, that keeping in touch is the big benefit of email, I think. I've been able to support a high school friend through what's becoming a very nasty divorce. We reunited at our class reunion this summer and have been catching up via email ever since.

But, I'm also finding that email is hurting me in another way. I'm now falling behind the times. Most of my good friends who live in different cities are all on instant messenger now. They don't email much at all. It's all about the IM and then the phone. Because the only time I sit at my desk for more than a couple minutes at a time is late in the evening, IM isn't practical for me.

So, I post all of this to say, if you have a friend who sends you bizarre emails instead of making normal human contact, well cut him/hear some slack. Maybe she's shy. Maybe he doesn't want to bother you. Or, maybe they have laryngitis! All I am saying, is give email a chance people...give email a chance!

P.S. This was a rather blathering post, but it managed to cover up my last post on Palin. Let's just say my enthusiasm is waning rather quickly there, but I'm still very interested in hearing some debates. Too bad they can't send those debates via email, eh? (wink)

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Ladybug Crossing said...

I email.
I like email.

7:12 AM, September 03, 2008  
Blogger KiniWoman said...

I email a lot. A WHOLE LOT.

I IM too.

I text on my phone sometimes too.

Personally, I'd rather send an email or text message than leave a voice message...but, I should practice talking sometime too!

12:30 PM, September 03, 2008  
Blogger Thumper said...

I'm phone phobic. Don't know why. But I'd rather email someone than call. I do like the idea that I can text my son now, though. He always has his cell phone on him, so even if he's not going to check mail, he checks his text messages.

2:47 PM, September 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home