Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Baby Steps are STILL Steps!

So, I did it. I went to the first meeting of my new running club! It was rainy and cold and it had rained all day. I had a massive headache, had just found out I was hosting my scrapbooking group at 10 in the morning (and the house wasn't clean), and I STILL WENT! That was BIG for me.

And, I did OK! I have to say, it was actually FUN! I know that sounds insane. I haven't seriously run since high school, for goodness sakes. And I have had two kids since then and am the most overweight and in the worst shape of my life. But, I didn't die tonight. And I came away feeling so happy and excited about this program! I must be doing the right thing if I can say that.

So, I'll share about the program. I showed up at this huge park down near the Galleria area of Houston, totally clueless about where to go. It was easy to see by the large crowd of people there. There were probably 150 or so people gathered for this club.

We heard some information and broke into our groups. This was what gave me the most anxiety. The registration form asked you to rate your level from a> never worked out and never ran before, b> worked out but never ran before, c>can run 1 mile, and d>can run 3 miles. Ok, there is a BIG gray area there between b and c if you asked me! But, I decided to push myself and put myself in c>miler group. I have run before, it has just been a looooong time. I thought I could probably run a mile, although I might barf up a lung afterward.

So, from the mile group, we then ran a little under a mile as a test to see if we'd be in the top group of milers or the bottom group. Each group will train slightly differently. I expected to be the bottom group. They told us to run comfortably, but not to the point of being out of breath. That's what I did. I had enough energy to kick it in a notch at the end and I didn't cough up that lung (not even close, actually.) And, surprisingly, I made it in the top group! (Well, I was in the very bottom of the top group, with 4-5 under me, but STILL!)

So, they gave us our workout plans, which have us running A LOT more than I'd expected. And, they told us if our shoes are more than 4-6 months old to go to a running shop and bite the bullet and pay about $85 for good/personally fit shoes to avoid injuries. And then, we were let go for the week.

I feel so optimistic and excited right now. I was terrified tonight of being in over my head or looking like a fool. What I found were people of all ages of all sizes and of all abilities. I met a number of people who are on their 3rd or 4th season of participating. All and all, it was very motivating.

So, while I'm not usually a boaster, I am going to give myself "props" for going tonight and pledge to try my best to follow the running schedule this week. I feel like I'm really going to learn some about myself through this whole experience. Honestly, I feel I'm on the edge of something really big in my life with this thing.

For an EVEN LONGER, more introspective look at running, click here. (Still working out the kinks on the site on this.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home