Saturday, February 26, 2005

Reenacting "The Birds"

Ok, I know I have been a blogging nut this past few days. But, something happened that I have to pass along, because it was so sad and disturbing.

This morning after I recovered from the kick-boxing nightmare class, I walked to the front of our house to get Natalie and saw huge flocks of birds all circling around our house, going up in the trees and back to the bushes and ground, and repeating themselves. I've seen birds like this near shopping centers and in big open areas. It's like a "birdy lay-over" or something before the fly off to their destination.

So, I grabbed my digital camera, because these birds were so neat looking--they had red tips to their wings and a yellow tip to their tail. I've never seen ones like this. I put Natalie at one front door window so she could watch them. She squealed with delight.

Then, I moved to the other front door window to take a shot through the glass, thinking what a neat picture it would make for a nice "happy" blog about our day.

Suddenly, we heard this huge crash against the huge upper window above our front door. It was so loud, Natalie instantly screamed and started crying and I almost did.

I looked down, and two birds were laying on our front porch. One definitely looked dead. The other was sitting and twitching, like it was his last few moments of life. I don't know if the birds crashed into each other at the same time and then flew into the window or exactly what happened.

All I know is, it was incredibly sad and then I kept thinking how I'd just traumatized my 11-month-old. She's witnessed full bird carnage before she even turns one! How horrible is that?


The other awful thing is, I was too scared to do anything. I was sure that one or both were dead. I keep reading about viruses being spread by birds. And, I was just so freaked out by the whole thing that I just left them there, hoping they'd be gone when we came back.

During an afternoon of poker playing with the in-laws at their house, I told my mother-in-law who joked that maybe some nice cat would take care of them and they'd be gone when we went back.

Sure enough, I pulled up to the house, ready to deal with the window-kill when I saw this enormous fat gray cat sitting proudly on our front door matt. He was sitting up tall, not moving, as if to say, "Yes, I am the master of this domain. I challenge ANY bird to crash here again."

I wish I had my camera to get a picture of the cat more than anything. It was hilarious--and a BIG relief. There wasn't a feather to be found!

6 Comments:

Blogger babs said...

Sounds like Jess was waiting for you on your front doorstep! ;)

BTW, I love your flurry of blogging... it's like having a "real world" marathon on TV!

10:59 AM, February 27, 2005  
Blogger Lisabell said...

This whole story freaks the s*** out of me. Forget the Jess lookalike, I'm still reeling that your house was surrounded by BIRDS...

11:36 PM, February 27, 2005  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

It DID look like Jess and I almost included that in my story about it! Only, his head wasn't quite as round as Jessito's!

The birds freaked me at first, but then I saw how neat they were--they were making cool patterns as they swooped down and the male birds had such gorgeous markings (Ok, how freaking unfair is it that male birds get all the color? What is UP with that! But, I digress...) Anyway, my awe changed to horror quite quickly when I heard that crash. That's for sure!

12:21 AM, February 28, 2005  
Blogger Dipu said...

Unfair that the males get all the color?? Hey, how unfair is it that the MALES have to do ALL THE WORK in courtship and the females just have to sit back drinking their cosmopolitans and reject at whim and laugh at the losers, huh?!?

I'm not bitter...

10:17 AM, March 02, 2005  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Why? What's wrong with that, Dipu?

giggle

1:01 PM, March 02, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a note to say, great site! I dropped in during my search for Tummy Tuck Pictures and took a look around.
Good luck to you.

5:27 PM, January 12, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home