Sunday, February 20, 2005

I'm BAAAAAACK!

Can you believe it has been three whole days with no post from me? Well, as most of you know, I went on my moms' group retreat this weekend. I had a blast and will probably post more about it later. But, the most notable thing that happened this weekend---

I KARAOKED FOR THE FIRST TIME!

That's right. Me. The tone deaf car-singer who WISHES more than anything she had the pipes of Martina McBride or Kelly Clarkson, actually held up a microphone and belted out a few songs! Of course, it was out in the middle of no-where in a cabin with only about 10-12 of my gal pals. AND, I only sang DUETS as I couldn't do it alone. AND, all had been drinking most of the evening. So, don't expect any repeat performances, my friends! But, here are my observations from this experience:
  1. Magnifying a tone-deaf very low voice isn't always a good thing, even IF you've been drinking.
  2. Motown songs seem to always go over well, especially Aretha Franklin ones (not that I did one).
  3. If you want to jolt a group of women into singing with you and dancing, sing "Its' Raining Men!" (This was my first selection.)
  4. You may THINK you know the versus to "Build Me Up, Buttercup" because you have watched "There's Something About Mary" a million times, but you do NOT!
  5. Even if you were embarrassed at your Peter Bradyesque voice on the high notes, you did not embarrass yourself as much as the church youth choir director who performed "Like a Virgin" and gyrated on the floor!
  6. No matter how good you sound, a white woman can NOT pull off Usher's "Yeah." You just sound ridiculous saying things like "in the club with my 'homies."
  7. Don McLean's "American Pie" is the longest song ever to be written. (I think they sing this at piano bars because all the drunks have time to wake up and start singing by the last verse!)
  8. When your tonsils start feeling like they're coming out your ears, don't go get more wine. Stop singing along already, and go to bed!
  9. Even people who sing beautifully, kill the mood when they sing a serious ballad. Save it for the shower or the car, sistahs!
  10. If you give in to temptation and belt out some tunes in a wine-induced buzz, wake up the next morning and pretend it NEVER happened. All those around you will do the same, out of the shear embarrassment of their performances as well!

1 Comments:

Blogger Lisabell said...

Hey, I am SO impressed that you did this. I have never done karaoke and doubt I ever will -- I would have to be passed out drunk, I think. And that kind of makes it impossible. ;) Sounds like you had fun, though! May you have many more weekend chick retreats with many more hours of successful karaoke!

4:32 PM, February 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home