Wednesday, February 09, 2005

The Committee in My Head

So, if you notice the time on this post, or if you know me well at all, you know that I have a serious sleeping problem. The problem? I don't get much sleep at all! Those with kids might understand this, and attribute it to kids waking up during the night.

Yep, that happens a lot around here. But, unfortunately, I have my own sleep issues that have been around most of my life. You see, I have a lot of trouble getting the "committee in my head" to adjourn when the day is over.

When I stopped working in the corporate world, and started the job of working at home as a mom, I thought this committee would be disbanded--or at least go on hiatus for several years. No, I'm not quite that lucky. In fact, the committee seems to find itself busier than ever.

Being a SAHM has its perks, I will not deny that. But, it is also quite challenging. You become the ultimate multi-tasker. It's not uncommon for me to have dinner going on the stove, be on the phone with my hubby or a friend, be helping Ryan with an art project, and be entertaining Natalie somehow ALL AT THE SAME TIME!

So, when it is time to wind down and fall asleep, while my body says yes, yes, yes...my committee says, "Wait a minute, we're still in session!"

I have tried many ways to try to get myself to sleep, including freakish list making in the wee hours, quiet cleaning obscure areas of my house, late night blog reading (my latest trend), and nothing seems to work. I've given up caffeine entirely, aside from the occasional weekend splurge on a can of Coke.

So, what is my problem? Well, part of it is genetic. My Grandmother kept the weirdest hours because of this issue. My Mom stayed up until 2 a.m. many nights grading school papers when she was teaching. As a kid, my Mom would come into my room and try to teach me to put myself to sleep in weird hypnotic ways ("My toes are going to sleep, my toes are going to sleep, my feet are going to sleep, my feet are going to sleep...") It never worked. And now, here I am...awake and blogging at almost 2 a.m. myself!

The biggest issue with this is the fact that my husband and kids wake up with the sunrise. Yes, in some cruel irony, they are ALL morning people. So, I'm now a morning person by necessity. This goes on for days at a time until I have a serious physical and mental breakdown and end up either in tears or crashing hard one night and catching up the sleep I can.

Well, now I have managed to type up a rather long blog all about not sleeping and this ever-present committee. They're calling me to the table now, to discuss the menu for bunco Thursday night, what kind of flowers to buy for the pots outside, and how to go about making those curtains for my living room. Important matters at hand, so I must leave you my blogging friends.

Sleep tight! I have added to our agenda a discussion of how jealous I am of you in your slumber!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home