Friday, May 20, 2005

Today is a mini D-Day...

Don't get me wrong, I adore my son and enjoy spending time with him...but today seems a little like D-Day. I have been walking heavier in the knowledge that it is the last day of preschool for him. This weighs on me for two reasons. One, I know that he's going to kindergarten and growing up entirely too fast.

But, secondly, I HAVE AN ENTIRE SUMMER TO KEEP HIM ENTERTAINED! Yikes! I have talked with some neighborhood friends who were totally happy that school is already ending for the summer. (These people all have swimming pools and older kids, so they are in good shape for entertainment!) They talked about not having to get their kids to the bus early every morning and less homework. I cannot relate to this yet. My son's school started at 9 a.m. and ended by 2 p.m. each day and we never had homework. It was just enough time to keep him busy and learning, and for me to get all the errands done, which he completely hates to do.

Now, I have to do those errands with two kids. Now, I have to keep him entertained ALL day, which means I'll be having to plan playdates more, trips to the pool, and times for us to sit down and work on his reading and writing. None of this would be that challenging if it were for the little firecracker that is my daughter, who is currently sitting in my lap as I type this, having a snack. In moments, she'll grow tired of that snack and begin to open and close the CD tray on my computer, then she'll push that little green button and my computer time will be over.

I have my hands full with my one-year-old right now. And, it makes it really hard to spend quality time with my son. So, I'll have to figure something out. A way to keep her contained or at least out of trouble, and a way to spend the time I want to with him.

But, today, when/if she takes her midday nap, I will put my feet up and relax. Because I know, it may be the last time for several months that I get to do that!

The last installment of my travel writings will come this weekend. So check back soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home