Thursday, September 08, 2005

Facing rejection head on

I took a chance today. I emailed a query on an article I'd like to write to a national magazine. It is my first attempt at jumping into the world of freelance magazine writing after many years being less than fulfilled writing software documentation and online help for software programs as a career. I'm really anxious and excited. But, at the same time, I am telling myself not to expect to even hear back on this. I may have to send a ton of these article query letters out before I get a bite. I'm trying a national magazine over going to a regional one first, because an instructor I had for a freelance class recently read my idea and thought it was great. So, I'm going for it.

Why do I sound skeptical? Well if you read the "About Me" on this blog, you'll know I'm a recovering pessimist. Well, pessimism is like any addictive disorder, it can creep up on you and then suddenly you're swallowed up in full-blown negativity. And it can happen so easily! I really have to watch myself on this.

Additionally, I have had a poor response back lately from other ventures. I've tried to get my blog listed on several different rings over the past month or so, and it has never appeared. I tried to even get on another blogger's blogroll, someone who gets an amazing amount of hits, and still haven't appeared there. I'm just not having luck getting connected for some reason, so it makes me feel jaded about this opportunity.

If it doesn't work out, I can always pitch the idea to another magazine and try, try again. I really want a taste of what freelancing with this kind of work would be like, so I will have to keep trying! The old Pessimistic MomCat would let one rejection make her feel like a failure and would have given up. But, this Crazy MomCat will NOT! I may be crazy, but that milkbowl is half full, darn it!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kimberly said...

I wish you the very best of luck. Consider me in your cheering section:)

1:15 PM, September 08, 2005  
Blogger babs said...

You go, momma! (btw, I'm sure you already know this... but altho the prestige of a national pub is really cool, the regional pubs are ALWAYS looking for new, relevant articles.)

No matter what, you've got a big fan club behind you. We love you!

3:39 PM, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Lisabell said...

Absolutely! I think you might be pleasantly surprised! I have been wanting to do this for years as well, maybe one of these days I'll take the plunge too. I've always been too chicken because negative criticism freaks me out... and since I've always wanted to be a writer, the thought that I would try and fail at it was too scary... but the blogging thing helps a lot, I must say :)

4:34 PM, September 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't stop trying! And later, when I am trying to sell my book off, please tell me the same! Ok? As for not showing up on the fat cat's blogroll? Not worth it then.

4:45 PM, September 08, 2005  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Good luck, Steph! Don't get discouraged. Write for YOURSELF. Write what YOU want to read. And you won't be disappointed.

10:20 PM, September 08, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never give up. Build your own reality! You can do it... Best of luck!

Saw you on Michele's site!

10:40 PM, September 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home