Friday, September 02, 2005

Yeah! What HE said...

This post will sound like a million other bloggers posts this past week, but I have to write it. I am so angry right now. I don't understand how what has gone on in Louisiana has happened in our wonderful country. I am sad, disillusioned, and frustrated. And, I want to help, but don't know how.

How can people be left with no help for not just one day, but 4-5 days? All the while dead bodies lay around them, babies go without food, elderly pass away from the sheer shock and exhaustion of it all. These are people who survived the horrible hurricane, but never knew that was not the worst to come.

I get mad at the reporters who grill these people and get them to tell over and over again their accounts of what happened, and then turn the camera off and walk away. How can they do that? I know they are doing their job, but someone has to help these people! If I did not have two kids, I would want to drive there myself. It is all so awful.

This is happening in America. I keep saying that to myself. I look at the pictures on the screen and hear people being called refugees in OUR country. The saddest part is these are people who had so little to begin with, and now they have nothing and can't even get help to get out of the hell in which they are stranded. They did not ask for what happened to them. It could have just as easily been Galveston, just miles from where I live.

I have a lot of friends who are more liberal than I am, who have bashed the Bush administration over the years while I sat by quietly and listened. I do not find myself strongly associated with a party, but do have some beliefs that fall in both ends of the political spectrum. But, I have to say that what the President does today, not tomorrow, will speak volumes. Because what he should have done yesterday was get on that plane and see the destruction and the lives in peril and make things happen THEN. If the national organizations who are there to aid people cannot manage to work together and get into an area to get people out in less than 4-5 days, there is something wrong. That fault lies not solely on our President. But, between this and 9/11 our country has clear examples as to what needs to be fixed. Something is very wrong. And it makes us more of a target today than we have ever been when we can't save ourselves when a natural disaster strikes.

I have never gotten political on here, mostly because my beliefs are just that--private beliefs and I don't believe in bombarding people with those. But, I can't get over my anger today. And my guilt. For as I sit in my 3,000+ square foot house with air conditioning, and all the clothes and food I could ever need, I think of these people. As I bitch about the price of gas to fill up my ridiculous SUV, I will think about these survivors too.

I say a prayer each time I think of these people. I pray we help them and I pray against the fears I have of crime and disease spreading to my city from all of this. I pray that someone can lift these people up from this devastation and can set them back down without their hearts being filled with complete hate and anger for the hand of cards that life has dealt them and for the way their country did not come and help them right away when they needed it. Most of all, I pray for strength to figure out how I can help them and make a difference to make things better.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you will find a way to help and make a difference Steph. I can feel your frustration and anger. this is such a horrible time.

3:00 PM, September 02, 2005  
Blogger Lisabell said...

Yeah, what you said.

4:07 PM, September 02, 2005  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

I found this on another blog- It's a post from a small town in Louisiana that has taken in many refugees. I'm sending all the clothes Baby has outgrown tomorrow.

"We have thousands of evacuees here..families in our schools,
churches, store parking lots, some just laying in yards. They have
no place to go. Entire families with small children and nothing but
the clothes on their backs. We're taking them into our homes and
anywhere we can think to house them. The Red Cross will be slow
getting here as they are tied up in Baton Rouge & New Orleans areas.
In the meanwhile..our community is trying to take care of these
people and we're overwhelmed as there are so many!the Relief
Coordinator for our parish (like your county) and has given me a
list of items we desperately need.
We are not asking for money...only items needed for these people. If
you can help with whatever you can send we would be most grateful!
Myron & I will make sure they are distributed where needed. We have
alot of donations of soap, toothbrushes, etc so we're ok on those
for now.
The following are items we have none or very little of and needed
desperately:

*Baby Items: baby wipes / disposable diapers/ formula / baby
bottles / baby shampoo / baby blankets >anything for babies
*Purell or some type hand sanitizer
*Pillows / blankets
*little T-shirts ( babies to childrens sizes)
*Over the counter pain relievers (tylenol, motrin, tums, alka
seltzer, pepto bismol, band-aids, etc)
* color books / colors / board games / books (for kids in
shelters)

You can send to:

Marksville City Hall
Attn: Myron Gagnard /Hurricane Relief Coordinator
427 N. Washington St. Marksville, La. 71351
Phone # to the mayor's office for verification: 318-253-9500"

Also, this website will let you connect directly with a family who you want to donate items or money to. Cool!

http://beenthere.typepad.com/been_there/

I am sure that, living in Houston, you will find plenty of opportunities to help people in need.

9:50 PM, September 02, 2005  
Blogger Olyal said...

Sitting on the other side of the world watching this unfold makes me feel so helpless. All I can do is send blessings and love to all those affected by this disaster.

Michele sent me.

9:50 PM, September 02, 2005  
Blogger carmilevy said...

What a lovely, human, real sentiment. Thanks for putting into words what so many of us are feeling.

Dropped in from Michele's tonight. I'm so glad I did.

9:52 PM, September 02, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need to keep giving and praying and working...
LJ
(here via Michele)

9:52 PM, September 02, 2005  
Blogger Spock said...

Here from Michele's & touched by your post!

9:55 PM, September 02, 2005  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Thanks everyone. And great info, Lucinda! Yes there are a ton of efforts being done here. My church is making sack lunches to go to a nearby hotel where many displaced families are staying who have no food or money and no place to go. Today I saw things start improving in terms of things getting to people--I am hopeful this will continue and these people can get help and shelter. God bless them, it could be any of us, you know?

10:47 PM, September 02, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have evacuees coming to Austin as well. Hopefully we can help them in some way. I'd love to drop off toys for all the kids, but I hear that they prefer money donations because the logistics of material donations is too difficult to manage.

1:19 AM, September 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting me via Michele!

I live in Texas also, and we heard a rumor that we may get 1,000 way down here.

There will be about 8,000 coming into our school systems in our state. UIL is probably going to waive rules so that these displaced students can compete in varsity sports, etc. Getting back into a routine is what these kids really need so that they can start to heal. Don't you just want to take them all into your arms and hug them until the pain goes away? I know I do! But it won't be that easy...

8:47 PM, September 03, 2005  
Blogger Minerva said...

An awful tragedy compounded by human error..and all I can do on the other side of the Pacific is donate...

But we are all thinking of you as events unfold and echo your anger and frustration...

Minerva

3:06 PM, September 04, 2005  
Blogger Michael said...

Crazy MomCat,

What is sad is that people have been suffering for a long time and we only notice it when a major disaster strikes... those desperately poor people have only now appeared in the popular American consciousness...

don't hesitate, become political.

There is nothing wrong with wealth, we all want to be comfortable and take care of our families, but remember where you are and act so that others can have decent chance at making something of their lives (check out this months Harper's magazine and read Jonathan Kozol's article on education in America)

Peace MomCat!

9:31 PM, September 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home