Sunday, August 28, 2005

Dining 'neath the magnifying glass

I learned something interesting about this diabetes thing, that I had not anticipated. That is, when you confide in your family and friends that you have this problem, dining with said people might never be the same again.

Today, we had a lovely day at our church's rally day, where we walked around booths for the more than 60 ministries the church is involved with currently. I wanted to sign up for all of them, but controlled myself as I tried to keep in mind I'm cutting back from the insanity for awhile. After the service, we went out to lunch with my in-laws in our typical Sunday routine.

The first warning sign I got that things were NOT going to be typical was when my sister-in-law adamantly refused to go eat Italian, but didn't really offer up why. She just kept saying, "NO PASTA!" Still, she's trying to lose weight so I chalked it up to this and moved on.

We ended up eating at a steakhouse chain. And, I kid you not, the entire time I was there I felt unable to relax and eat anything. It was stressful anyway, trying to pick something that would work for me right now. I haven't been to a dietician yet, so I'm just trying to eat low carb and avoid desserts and stuff.

But, when I sliced myself a sliver (and I do mean a sliver) of the pumpernickel bread off to have, I felt all eyes all the way down the table on my hand as I brought it to my mouth. I made a comment about how I'd just read in my glycemic index book that pumpernickel is actually one of the best/safest breads a diabetic can eat. Then, my 14-year-old nephew commented, "It tastes pretty sweet to me," and gave me a questioning look.

So, I ordered the grilled chicken breast, steamed veggies and a salad. And, every bite I cut, I felt the eyes on me. I couldn't even eat it. It wasn't what I wanted to order, but I would have been fine had I not felt so watched the entire time! I love my family and my in-laws are great people. I know they have my best interest at heart. I guess one way to lose weight is to have people staring at every calorie you put in your mouth for the rest of your life! Let's hope they relax soon on this!

In other news, my awesomely awesome pals from Awesomely Awesome Austin are back from their group cruise to Alaska. (Could I put any more "A's" in that sentence? My English teacher mother would be SO impressed with my "alliteration.") I have been in complete blogging withdrawal with all three of their blogs being silent for more than a week, so I can't WAIT to read and see pictures from their fabulous trip! Glad you're back, guys!

And, tonight, I heard back from my freelance writing instructor on a couple of ideas I'd had for an article. She responded back very enthusiastically with a contact for me at a parenting magazine and told me to go for it.

Wait! I don't know if I'm ready to go for it. Am I? Oh well, I guess there's no harm in trying! Now I just have to find time to write up the pitch and send it on. I'm scared and giddy all at the same time. Wish me luck!

4 Comments:

Blogger babs said...

go for it, my insomniac friend! You've got a ton of good parenting stories up your sleeve!

btw, there was no such magnifying glass on our trip. We ate like 6 times a day! in fact, I think my stomach just woke me up for its midnight feeding. (it must still be on pacific time) Thanks for missing us! I've been enjoying catching up with your blog!

2:59 AM, August 29, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

go for it, definitely! just write with your usual, truthful and genuine voice and they will eat in your hand! I'm so happy for you! yay!

8:39 AM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger christina said...

Steph, totally go for the writing thing. You're good. Really good. You know that. Don't let that sneaky self doubt that all writers have creep in and stop you!

And as to the dining thing--I can SO relate. My husband HATES that part of being diabetic. With family, its good to explain right from the outset that not all "sweet" food is bad for you!! And that being diabetic doesn't mean you can't have sugar. It's not that simple. We had to explain to sooo many people that carbs metabolize differently. That whole weat pasta is different than white. That fruit is different than soda. Of course, you're family is just trying to be supportive, but tell them that that though you appreciate their concern you've got it covered. Otherwise the stress of their attention will outweigh the benifits of ordering something low-carb, if you know what I mean. :)

They soo need to back off!

10:45 AM, August 29, 2005  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

I'd get extremely irritable if people felt free license to comment on what I put in my mouth at meals- On the other hand, you're right, it makes it much easier to lose weight, so just use it to your advantage.

GOOD LUCK on the writing! I know you can do it!

11:11 AM, August 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home