Saturday, September 10, 2005

We have too much

Is it just me, or does all this coverage of Hurricane Katrina just leave you with the feeling of guilt? I seriously feel guilty (and very thankful) that I have so much in my life and have been so fortunate. Tonight, we pulled out our garage sale/hand-me-downs tubs of clothes from my son's toddler years. I only got halfway through them, and I just felt a horrible wave of guilt that I still had these, just sitting in my attic. Granted, we'd kept them just in case we had another boy, or in case any family or friends had a baby boy, but I've had them for almost two years now knowing I wasn't going to use them. We pulled them out a year ago for our neighborhood garage sale and nothing sold because of a poor turnout.

So, as I load up bag upon garbage bag of perfectly nice and decent baby and children's clothes, I feel really bad. I should have donated it long ago to someone who needs it. And, in looking around our house lately, I have had this feeling of really strong desire to get rid of the excess. It's not just because of what has happened in Louisiana, but I also need to simplify my life and it is just unnecessary crap weighing down on me. I need things as simple as possible right now as I focus on more important things with my health.

Someday, I may write on here about one of the biggest impacts of my life growing up, and that was having parents who hoard things and never throw anything away. It sounds so trivial when you think of children who live through abuse, but in a way it traumatized me. And, because of that, I now feel this need to purge things whenever I have too much too. It stresses me out. So, giving these things will help me feel I am helping those who need so much but also help me feel I'm clearing out excess baggage that is weighing heavily on my shoulders.

I have heard that some of the shelters/charities are not taking items like clothes right now, because of the overwhelming response. But, then I started thinking, what about all of the other charities that were here in Houston before the Hurricane victims were brought here? What will become of them if all the help and money is going to help the refugees living here now? Certainly, the people who were in need from here are still in need, and maybe even more so right now. Maybe I will try to take my clothes to my usual donation place instead. Just a thought...keep that in mind too as you donate things in the upcoming months.

7 Comments:

Blogger Panthergirl said...

If you really want to donate clothes and things, you can send them directly to the shelters.

Go to this blog for details.

http://gracedavis.typepad.com/katrinablog/

Here via michele!!

9:05 PM, September 10, 2005  
Blogger carmilevy said...

Lovely sentiment. The need to share is there even in so-called "normal" times. Katrina simply raised our collective awareness of how important this really is.

Here from Michele's tonight. You've once again provoked thought. Thanks!

9:35 PM, September 10, 2005  
Blogger christina said...

I know the feeling of wanting to simplify. It's good to do every once in a while, especially during this time of year. Things get overly complicated during the summer when everyone's about playing and adventures and extroversion. The house is always overflowing with sunscreen, towels, food, STUFF.

I'm glad you made the point too about sharing even when there isn't a calamity. I think that often goes forgotten.

And Steph, your writing is really wonderful!!!

11:02 PM, September 10, 2005  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Thanks for the link, panther and to you and Carmi for stopping by!

Christina, thank you for your kind words. To hear someone who writes as poetically as you actually likes to read my words, well that's a really big compliment!

11:04 PM, September 10, 2005  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Good point. Steph, I found out about a 36-week pregnant woman in Oklahoma who is having a baby girl and lost everything in the hurricane. I am going to call the United Way in Oklahoma on Monday and verify the details and find out the specifics about her situation, then I'm thinking of throwing her a nationwide "baby shower". I have so many friends across the country with babies- I thought it would be really neat if each of us sent her a present. Let me know if you want to participate and I'll e-mail you the details.

1:57 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

I'd love to hear more, Lucinda. That's a neat idea!

4:54 PM, September 11, 2005  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

I'd love to hear more, Lucinda. That's a neat idea!

4:54 PM, September 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home