Thursday, March 09, 2006

Reality Bites, Movie Dancing, and Sweet Temptations at the Toilet

Just a mixed bag of nonsense tonight to share...
---------------
Sweet Crooner Gedeon went home tonight on American Idol, in what I think was a supreme travesty by text message. After all, how could people not vote for this smile?

And, then to KEEP these two guys? I'm sorry, what is going on with that? Something went terribly wrong. And, before you say anything, NO I didn't vote. I never vote. I'm a cheap-ass, OK? But, I tell you, if Chris the hot rock star gets voted off anytime soon, I SWEAR--I MEAN IT THIS TIME, I am no longer watching!

---
And, in the category of "You know you're getting old when," how about when you throw your hip out in kickboxing class? Is that a clear enough sign you are, in fact, past your prime? In the middle of a serious round-house kick to which I was giving all my "umpf," I heard a loud pop in my hip joint. I left class early, which I never do. Since then, I've had a pain in the hip, but not a muscular type of pain. It was better today, but I can't help but think this is a message from the great beyond that I'm not getting any younger! What's next, osteoporosis?

---
It is no secret, I am a former movie buff who is now way behind the times on movies thanks to two kids and a busy schedule. But, I watched one I had recorded tonight and just fell in love. Shall We Dance didn't get huge reviews, but I had heard that it was a sleeper hit. This movie just really touched me. No, I don't secretly fantasize about become a ballroom dancer. Honestly, I have never even watched Dancing with the Stars! And, no, I don't lust after Richard Gere. I don't even envy J-Lo's butt. But, the whole story between he and his wife of 19 years, captivated me. And, the whole reason he dances, felt like it was written to me for some reason. This person, searching for something for which he feels unjustified and unwilling to admit to, well let's just say I understand that. Most of you have already probably seen it, but if not I won't give away anymore. Rent it! It's good!

---
And, finally tonight, I have learned a key to potty training success with my almost two-year-old daughter. Future blog entries will spell out to you the many ways my toddler is training ME right now--I'm learning very quickly how to deal with the very headstrong and determined little spitfire. But, tonight, I learned that she does, indeed, have a weakness.

It was a pattern I have seen many times before during her nightly bath:

"I poo-poo, Mommy. I poo-poo."
Typically, we sit for less than a minute and then she's ready to get back in the tub acting proud, as if she did actually go to the potty. Trying not to fall for it again, I said,

"Are you sure?"
Emphatically she answered, while pointing to her nether regions,
"Poo-POO!"
A quick toweling off and she was on her potty seat again. Then, out of nowhere, I heard adial indications that she might actually REALLY need to go for a change.

So, I knew I had just moments to act and I had to pull out all the stops. The child had not eaten a good dinner at all, and she'd watched her brother get a cookie for dessert for eating his well. She was NOT happy at this, and let me know it with her throw-her-body-to-the-ground dramatics.

"Miss Kitty, listen to Mommy. If you go pee-pee or poo-poo in the potty tonight...Mommy will give you a COOKIE! OK?"

That's right, pure bribery.

Less than two seconds later, she trickled
in her guarantee of the sweet treat. No poop, but I was happy just the same. I
did a dance of joy, which completely surprised her and we went and announced to
her brother that she'd pee-peed on the potty. (Wildcat was NOT impressed in the
least.)

Ok, so I'm fostering a sweet tooth in her that I'd regret later. I can deal
with that. Cookies cost a hell of a lot less than diapers, and I'd rather sweep
up the cookie crumbs from the floor than wipe her smelly stink bombs. So, SUE
ME!

12 Comments:

Blogger Tonja said...

nothing wrong with a little bribery. what seemed to have finally made it for us was when I was doing laundry one day and said "Look at all those pretty big girl panties- they are so sad that you don't use the potty and can't wear them." and it worked. still can't believe it!

7:45 AM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Viamarie said...

I don't call this bribery. I think it is more of a reward for being able to achieve a task.

Cheers!

9:51 AM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Just D said...

it's not bribery... it's survival! Whatever it takes. I loved shall we dance also, for the same reason. Sweet movie!

2:01 PM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, if you don't give 'em cookies, they're just going to get them someplace else. And Hooray for bribery. It's the only thing that works!

4:13 PM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Jess said...

Shall We Dance was so...sweet! And I loved for the same reasons you did - I love that his office partner ended up dancing at the end, too...

Pottytraining - Lord, help me. My son was darn near four. I still think it wasn't so much that he got it that he got tired of stepping over my weeping, begging body on the floor of the bathroom.... You use what works!

6:33 PM, March 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bribery did it for me!

And I've got to admit, I wasn't a big Gedeon fan... but then neither am I a Bucky or Kevin fan! I just take solace in the fact that, sure, they may have made it into the top 12, but I still don't think we'll have to worry about them sticking around for too much longer!

And lordy but am I glad to see Ayla go! Did anyone else think she looked like she always smelled something putrid?

8:32 PM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Tamara said...

FYI that movie is a remake of a WONDERFUL Japanese movie that came out several years ago. the original is awesome. You must rent it... We are trying to potty train too. Eli is all about the chocolate covered raisins.

9:04 PM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger Crazy MomCat said...

Libra & Shelli - M&Ms WOULD totally work in my house. Thanks for the potty gold tip!

Bribery or not, you all are right you have to do what works! Or, as Dr. Phil says, "Find your child's currency and use it."

Angela--I'm totally cracking up at your Ayla comment. That is so true! As for Gedeon, he is by no means my favorite or the best, I just thought he was miles better than the little nerd or the Southern boy. Bucky butchered Texas legend, Pat Green's song! My husband has been told he looks kind of like Pat Green, so I take that personally. HA!

10:06 PM, March 10, 2006  
Blogger DebbieDoesLife said...

After I saw "Shall We Dance" the hubs and I took lessons, I bought the video AND downloaded the Peter Gabriel song "The Book of Love" to my MP3 player. Yeah, I love that movie.

10:32 AM, March 11, 2006  
Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

Potty training is not going well for me. I tried the cookie bribe and all I get is, "NOOOO! I'm baby! I go poo poo in my diaper!"

Geez.

8:49 AM, March 12, 2006  
Blogger Nicole said...

My oldest was 4. He'd pee but not poo in the toilet. I'd just had my third son and reached a breaking point. I refused to have 3 in diapers! I stopped putting him in diapers no matter what fit he threw..he held it for 3 days. Once he did it he never asked for a diaper again. My second son was totally trained by 2 and a half. They are such different personalities!

10:12 AM, March 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My toilet training philosophy? Whatever works!! Good for you and for her!!

5:25 AM, March 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home